A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Subscribing. I got my Biel cockerel from @City farm. He's a sweet boy, clumsy and lanky as a teenager. He is doing well with the no-crow collar.

2. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

Can you candle the eggs very well?

3. Cody A

Cody A Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2014
    N. Louisiana
    Hi jbkirk. In my recent hatch I was able to see in most of the eggs I had. It was my first time to candle. Some where darker than others so I couldn't tell what was going on in them. But for the most part I had no problems seeing inside. I used a small LED flashlight, 250 lumens.

4. jbkirk

Was this with lights or without?

5. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    The answer is yes. Mine were both laying both had red combs. One stopped laying then became a little lethargic so I borought her in her comb was light red. She wasn't eating either . So I gave her two salt soaks and massages yesterday. She stayed in overnight no egg. More soaks and vitamin water with electrolights . This morning we have a egg her comb isn't dark red yet either. But she is eating and acting normal so I 'm happy. Pam

6. jbkirk

I'm glad she got better.[​IMG]

7. mrosspitt

mrosspitt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    Are the Bielefelder hens chatty? Are they comparable to any other in particular?
    Anybody have real squawkers?

A good city/suburban bird?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  8. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I just put 2 dozen Bielefelder eggs in the incubator tonight. Now I wait...and wait...and hope....probably complain more than a little....and wait.....[​IMG]

Patience really isn't one of my virtues but the chickens are helping me learn the patience that has never come naturally to me.

9. jbkirk

Never pray that God will give you patience....because he'll give you trouble to help you learn patience!!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. apteryx

apteryx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Alabama
    Mine are quiet - even after laying. I find my wyandottes, bresse, and half of my legbars to be much louder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by