A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    Greenfire Farms regularly posts them on Rare Breed Auctions and you can usually win them for a fraction of their website cost...about 10-15 dollars a chick. Jenny is a good shipper and most all her birds arrive to me all the way in CA fat and happy. Also she has the cheapest shipping costs out there. Been buying from them for 3 years without issue.

2 people like this.
  2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I don't think Jenny is ther anymore.

You might also want to check the buy sell trade section here on byc. Personaly eBay would be my last choice to look.

1 person likes this.
  3. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

Definitely chicks!

4. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    Sorry, I thought it was just her who sent me an email last week, but maybe it was another person there. Regardless, GFF still has almost weekly auctions of Bieles on Rare Breed Auction. Going to the source if you can is probably the best thing, but often I decide to just order eggs from other small hobbists like me who have second generations producing.

I think that, for eggs, Ebay can be fine with some research. All of us who are breeding Bieles still have pretty much the same birds genetically. I sell extra eggs in there for convenience when incubators are full as I personally find this site very user unfriendly for anything but chat. GFF does not sell eggs anymore, and they are hard to find elsewhere. When I get my website up and running ( it needs LOTS of work if you know someone with web building skills please send them my way), maybe I will just sell just from there, but EBay and my Facebook work okay for now.

All adult Bieles out there are pretty much GFF second (possibly third) generation right now, so they are all siblings and close cousins to a huge degree. No one has had enough breeding time with them to call them anything else other than what they are, GFF imports.

Christine
    Rare Feathers Ranch

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I applaud your project. Marans are just not for me. My friend and I believe the Marans are great in their own flock but it gets "iffy" when they are in a mixed flock of breeds. Our Marans varieties came to us handled as chicks by 4-H home-schooled teens and the birds were great around humans. As soon as they reached maturity at about 18 mos to 2 y/o they became bullies. We had a lovely White Leg that was a gentle humane alpha in the flock for 3 yrs but ultimately her breed's aggression surfaced and it surprised the heck out of us because she was so nice for so long. A Buff Leg we hoped would be gentler decided to go ballistic at only 1 y/o. It took me some sad experience to realize not to mix known gentle breeds w/ more aggressive or dual-purpose heavier birds. I agree w/you that REDs seem to be aggressive types -- RIR, NHR, Red Sexlinks, etc. I found the Mediterranean class to be from stand-offish to aggressive breeds as well. These are generalities and it's not to say these breeds can't be tamed to a certain degree but certain characteristics of a breed seem to eventually surface no matter how much culling a breeder does. The Bielies on the other hand seem to characteristically be a gentle breed without having to be selectively handled.

As for egg color in brown layers. Apparently the time an egg spends in the oviduct to get pigmented (in addition to other circumstances) determines the depth of brown color or the amount of spotting that occurs on the outer shell -- that's why all the extreme variations occur w/ Marans or Welsummer shells and why some other brown-laying breeds can lay from light to medium shells (Bielies included). The following website reviews how eggs get their color/pigmentation: http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/files/eggreview.pdf

It's good to know that a golf-ball round egg is not unusual in Marans -- shape just didn't make any difference in what shell color was layed by our Cuckoo. I heard the Cuckoos were cross-bred in some U.S. stock & that might've caused the problems breeders were having in getting the chocolate eggs. Don't know -- just things I picked up in research. I am glad there are breeders who have the determination and patience to work w/ dark layers.

Thanks for all the input and experience shared!

6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.

7. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona

Can it be done in a fridge? Possibly, but the cooler temperature will definitely slow the fermentation process, which seems to progress better if the temps are a bit warmer. It may be better to begin the process at "room temperature" and after it's begun to ferment put the whole thing in the fridge??

8. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I spoke w/a BYCer who shared how they fermented in the fridge but darned if I know who it was 2 years ago!

9. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by