A Bielefelder Thread !

She is not favoring the foot as much anymore this evening.

We had a long and hard winter this year and Archies comb did not make it. I think he will make a good breeder though

She is not favoring the foot as much anymore this evening.

We had a long and hard winter this year and Archies comb did not make it. I think he will make a good breeder though
Thank goodness for your hen! And comb or no comb, Archie is a very handsome boy! You should have some very nice chicks with these two!!!

What does everyone charge for chicks? Or what did you pay for your chicks? I'm thinking of building a breeding barn and meed to choose the 5 breeds that would occupy the 3 spaces.

I know some of you have hatched Bielfelder chicks. Our hens really kicked into laying a couple of weeks ago and now we have quite a few in the incubator. We find their eggs are hard to candle as they are dark and opaque. What is your experience? Thanks

I have started a Facebook Group for Bielefelder Chickens and how to breed them to the German Standard of Perfection. The goal of the group is to help people learn how to breed better Bielefelders and understand what the standard means. It is an open group so you can look around before you decide if you would like to join. The main focus is on the 2011 import rather than the later 2013 import of crossbred Bielefelders.

Last edited:
I have started a Facebook Group for Bielefelder Chickens and how to breed them to the German Standard of Perfection. The goal of the group is to help people learn how to breed better Bielefelders and understand what the standard means. It is an open group so you can look around before you decide if you would like to join. The main focus is on the 2011 import rather than the later 2013 import of crossbred Bielefelders.

what is the name of the page

What does everyone charge for chicks? Or what did you pay for your chicks? I'm thinking of building a breeding barn and meed to choose the 5 breeds that would occupy the 3 spaces.

Honestly, it depends a lot about the area you live in. Out here Bielefelders don't do well, but they're still appreciated and even coveted for their beauty and sweet temperament. A few breeders tried charging $20.00 per chick, but after a few summer months word got around that they struggle in AZ and people were no longer willing to pay that much for a bird that may too easily die from heatstroke. Now I've seen them posted for $5.00 per chick and the number of breeders has dwindled down considerably. As with any business venture, it pays to know your demographic.

Honestly, it depends a lot about the area you live in. Out here Bielefelders don't do well, but they're still appreciated and even coveted for their beauty and sweet temperament. A few breeders tried charging $20.00 per chick, but after a few summer months word got around that they struggle in AZ and people were no longer willing to pay that much for a bird that may too easily die from heatstroke. Now I've seen them posted for $5.00 per chick and the number of breeders has dwindled down considerably. As with any business venture, it pays to know your demographic. 

Thank you! Since I'm in north Dakota i hope i can charge anywhere from $10-$15 a chick since they are cold hardy and good layers. I just hope males sell well also..

Back
Top Bottom