A broody coturnix??? New Photos!

I went out to the pen this morning to check on the birds and refill feeders, etc... and got a bit of a shock. No, no babies yet, but broody mama was off the nest and kicking a$$! LOL

She chased all the other quail until they cowered in a far corner near a water tank (used as a heat sink). The first one to run was the ROO!
gig.gif

Once she had them all cornered, she scarfed up a bunch of feed, took a swing of water and went right back to the nest. She went right back in to grumpy pancake mode and closed her eyes. I have a feeling she is going to set this out and will be a VERY protective mama!!!!

I dug out some marbles and put a shallow glass tray full of them in the hutch. I just need to grind the feed and put a feeder inside the hutch too. Even though she showed she could keep the riff raff out herself, I still think I will put up a square of hardware cloth to keep wandering babies where they are supposed to be
big_smile.png

NOTE: I mistakenly thought Keiko was my broody. Actually it is Lucy Lu! Those 2 are very hard to tell apart, but I got a good look at her during her morning broodzilla rampage!

Last edited:
There was a snake in mybob pen today...and all eggs but 2 were eaten...I put the two eggs in the incubator. The hen abandoned her little nest and is no longer a pancake..I would too if a snake is in the pen...soooo... the snake is in a bucket...the eggs in the incubator. Thank goodness I didn't loose any birds
tongue.png

I hope you get babies soon!!!!

Ooh hope they hatch Wifezilla!!!! Good luck!!
fl.gif

Love quails but never thought of getting any before
tongue.png

Hope to see some pics along with good news!!

She did it!!!!!!
wee.gif

I will get photos later today
big_smile.png

I saw two little fluff balls and there is still a pile of eggs.

Way to go Lucy Lu!!!!

celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom