A broody coturnix??? New Photos!

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
I got lazy about collecting eggs from the quail pen...lots of overtime at work and garden work. So when I went egg hunting I found my quail Keiko doing an imitation of a fluffy pancake on the spot where they like to lay eggs. She didn't move when I opened the hutch door and totally gave me the stink eye! LOL

So since coturnix are not known for their broody skills, what are the odds she can pull this off? Anyone else have a broody coturnix?

Last edited:
I count 7 so far. Here is a quick pic
big_smile.png

img00170m.jpg

It Happens From Time To Time... Usually They Wont Stick It Out Long Enough To Get The Job Done( Like Its A Long Grueling Process With Coturnix- Right?
smile.png
). But We'll Keep Hoping For You
smile.png

So far she seems to be sticking with it. We'll see how she does over the "long haul". LOL

I know she is only doing this because a friend of mine said she wanted to try out her incubator and wanted me to give her some quail eggs
tongue.png

I have a bobwhite pair on the front porch, and the female is also broody and sitting on her clutch of eggs. I am wondering if I should take the eggs or let her hatch ? I had button quail hatch their own young, never coturnix nor bobs.....

Ime... If A Bob Hens Takes To Being Broody She Will Sit The Distance. Its Rare, But When She's Gotta Mind To Tend Eggs She Will Hang With It Unless Disturbed. Coturnix Will Go Broody More Often (still Rare In Captivity) But Wont Go The Distance To Hatch The Eggs. Buttons Usually Stand The Best Chance And As Most Of Us Know Thats A Deploreable Chance Of Realy Being A Functional Incubator.

I had a coturnix that acted like she was broody for a few days. For 2-3 days she was on the nest non-stop. Then she was off the nest all day, and back on at night, then again off all day and on at night. After swapping her eggs out for new ones twice, I decided that she wasn't broody and took them all away. She wanted to, just didn't know how to get the job done apparently. But it was cute while it lasted, seeing her 'growling' at the other quail
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom