A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I think this one is just a "faker".

I was out again, to get some things from the shed and now he is walking like nothing happened.

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Funny! Further proof that they are smart birds....wonder if he thought he'd get some "feel better" treats out of it :lol:

3. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Sounds to me like you have a smart guest of honor! Are you planning to butcher your BBB and BBW's? I just assumed you were.

So I was thinking of the logistics of my turkey plans, and have realized I have a flaw that will create the need to purchase a poult or two next spring. *dang* [​IMG]

I was able to convince DH about the turkeys under the guise of Thanksgiving and having a breeding pair for babies to be guests and for grind. Dinner will be GIGANTIAC by the time November rolls around, so that is not a concern. I have realized though, that my heritage babies (the ones I plan to have from Tomahawk and Banshee) will not be big enough to butcher by the fall.
    I sort of knew this would happen, and by that I mean I totally knew it, just ignored it.
    So, next spring I will be getting another couple BBB. Maybe BBW.
    Really, I want a female BB so my Banshee can mate her. I secretly hoped Dinner was a girl and I could keep her. Nope. Not to mention that I have been commissioned, and by commissioned I mean told, that I will have to be the axe man for Dinner. DH is too attached.

Now that we have eradicated the fox from our property, I plan to take back some land that is overgrown with this awful pokey bush type small tree thing we have. I plan to have a fenced in area with a turkey coop (so really just a lean to with high roosts) and let them free range the rest of the property. Babies will be fenced in, adults can roam.
    I think my DH will enjoy the turkeys more if they are not sitting in his favorite chair on the deck each night.

Enough of my rambling about plans of poultry.

Sewing machines. I had the most basic singer available (in 1990) for a long time. About 5 years ago I upgraded. I have never been happier sewing!
    As a kid I used my grandmas foot pedal machine. I didn't care about sewing, I just liked to play with it!
    I agree, the old ones really look neat. Sadly, my cousin just got rid of everything when my grandma died. I would have liked to have it.
    SS- I also have a coffee mug attached to my hand most of the day. Except instead of diet coke once the mug is replaced, it is a cocktail or cider [​IMG]

I will post a video later, I am going to put the sprinkler out today for the birds. This is hilarious. The chickens avoid it like the plague, but the turkeys are so funny!

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have a new poult!

Remember a week ago when I said my Blue hatched 6 chicks out. She had 3 turkey eggs she abandoned and I grabbed them while they were warm and fire up my hatcher. One of them hatched! They were suppose to hatch yesterday and I had all but given up on them.

I came in for a sandwich and I heard noise in the hatcher, there saw a pretty little blue! Still wet.

So I went out to the nest my White rock AKA "the hussy" has been sitting on. She took a nest on the scrap iron trailer. I was not sure the eggs were good, ( actually pretty sure they were not) But she was sitting so hard and did not want me bothering her.

I went and lifted her taking minor damage to the back of my hand. ( wearing a latex glove) as the stench is over powering and I did not want to touch it) She had only one egg left under her, the rest had exploded.

I put new wood chips around and under her, she did not like this. I then rolled her egg out on the new chips and placed the two unhatched turkey eggs next to it, she rolled all three under her. I then lifted her again pushed a few more chips under and "dropped" the new poult under her. It's back was not all the way under her. She sat down looked at it. Pecked it lightly once, then lifted her wing to make room for it. I think she is going to take it.

So I have a turkey (Ethel) with poults..
    A turkey (Blue) with chicks
    now a Hen ( hussy) with a poult!
    A hen (BA) that adopted a dozen or more guinea Keets..

Screwed up place I run here.

1 person likes this.
  5. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Congrats on the new poult.

Did u find the one that was missing.

With all the variety adoptions is there ever any identity crisis.

Will they know who to dance with at next springs mixer event.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Nope, we never found the "lost" one. We looked through the woods. Our thought is it wandered away from Mom and got lost. Once lost a lot of things will take a lone poult.

It is funny you ask that. We have a hen }"currently MIA" that would rather stay with the turkeys than the chickens, She was raised by Ethel and still thinks of Ethel as her Mom. We think she is on a nest now, if not something got her.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am a failure!

My poult/hen graft has failed. The hen went crazy on me. She started throwing the poult left her nest started singing the egg song and scratching for food.

I saved the poult and the other two eggs from her attack of wackidoodleness and have them back in the hatcher. I was out with her watching from a distance because I have had grafts that look good at first fail....

So unless the other two eggs hatch I will be stuck raising a single poult. Which means it will be a house turkey for a few weeks... and that means I will get attached to it and geez I hate the can of worms this is opening....

8. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    Sorry that went south.

If the blue with chick are around a week maybe she would adopt it.

House turkeys are nice for awhile though

9. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    Need a little advice.

Gonna thin down to 3 varieties of turkey come spring. (Chocolates, palms and bourbon red).

I have 3 adult toms. 1 is 4.5. Beautiful bird but old and grouchy. Hes a dinner guest.

#2 is 3.5 was main breeder this spring til he got dethroned. Now he is lower in pecking order than hens. Don't know if he will recover any status.

#3 is 1.5. Unproven breeder. But his tail is almost solid brown no white. Don't know how traitable this would be in offspring.

I also have 2 young ones that I hatched this spring. That have good color.

Should I try and keep one adult over winter and hope they perform next spring.

Should I make the adults dinner guests and take my chances with this year hatchlings.

Im on the fence either way.

10. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Aw, a house turkey is kind of nice but it's a shame the hen wouldn't take it. But I'm sure it's adorable and you'll get all attached to it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by