A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

What is a "treadle'?

I bet that is going to make me sound dumb...... I have an image of your chickens running on a treadmill.

2. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio

You can sit them on a cement block or something if you want. I just toss mine on the ground. I also have chickens, turkeys & geese all sharing bowls so I just scatter several around so everyone can get their share.

Ralphie, I ferment my feed. Wet feed does not work well with gravity feeders. I have to have something non-metallic & open topped. The rubber bowls are awesome.
    My turkey hens love standing in the water bowls. I even used to have 1 that would lay her egg in the water bowl half the time. Silly girl!

Ralphie, a treadle is a foot pedal. Assuming her birds have to step on something to open a door to get feed or make feed drop into a pan.

3. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    Your turkeys are cooling off by standing/sitting in the water. I like to give mine a shallow pool of water or to spray down a shaded area for them to cool off in.

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I have several shallow wet areas for all the girls to stand in. But this one hen will chase the hose stream. Also have box fans on shaded areas and coops. It's nasty hot here now. Yes Ralphie....my chickens have to step up onto this platform which then pops the top of the feeder open. I had a problem with wild birds helping themselves. So unless the bird is a fat *** like my chickens they don't weight enough to open it. A squirrel can weight enough to open it but the top popping up scares them away. Works for me.

5. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    My goofy turkeys stand in the water in the dead of winter when there's ice forming in the bowl. It's not just a cool down thing. I think they just don't like dirty feet...lol

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Cool, Thanks,

I now have a picture of a chicken working and old sewing machine. ( I collect old sewing machines) I have 16 antique treadle machines now....

I feed the wild birds so it does not matter if they get into it or not. I do find I need to clean out the excess squirrel population now and then.

7. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Some of those old treadle sewing machines are just gorgeous. Do you use them?
    You know SS...I sort of had the same thought. Maybe they just like clean feet!

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

No, I am not a sewer/seamstress type, I just like the looks of them, the fine detail in the wood carvings and the mechanical aspect of them. I just polish and look at them. And of course catch copious amounts of Poop from my wife as to why I have them.

9. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I used to have an old treadle sewing machine. Also had a couple of the old Singers in the cabinets. My mom refuses to sew on anything but the old singers but they have to be electric these days because she can't work the treadle any more.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I try to collect, those that are different from the others I have. I stay with Singers and Whites. I have treadles, table top, coffin cases, and different advances. I have some that have an electric motor, but they are the ones where they just strapped a motor onto the top pulley. Whatever that is called, that turns the needles with your hand.

I really just like the different cases and stands wood types etc. I try to not get any tow that are alike. Right now I am not allowed to buy anymore. However, if I saw the right one, I might forget I am not allowed to buy anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by