A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, if it gobbles, you'll know! It's the funniest thing to wake up to. It makes me laugh.

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Happy turkey chirps make me smile, I think I'd have to say that gobbles would make me laugh too! DH is convinced that it's a hen, but I'm waiting for a more certain indicator lol.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I would like to confirm what I said earlier, Penguin is a boy for sure! He was just strutting his stuff!

Oh and...

I have looked on and off all day for Ethel's fourth baby, it is gone. Even the DW went hunting in the woods for it. She said my hearing sucked, and I couldn't hear it from 5 ft away...

She is right, for once.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Good for Penguin! What breed is he? Hate that you have one missing. Hope it turns up.

5. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio

Totally get this reference. We own all of the batman movies, old & new...lol

Cowl, caruncles, waddles, hood...I've heard it called all of these & more. It's the bumpy skin from mid neck to top of head.

My very bearded chicken hen is named Bertha the Bearded Lady. Just seemed to fit...lol

6. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Sorry for all the dumb novice questions. Still trying to adjust to these two adopted hens. What kind of feeders do you all use?

7. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    There is no such thing as a dumb question. Questions mean you are smart enough to know you still have things to learn. [​IMG]

I like the black rubber bowls for feed year round. They are flexible but durible. If something freezes in them you just flip them over & stomp on the bottom & it comes out. They are also great for water in the winter for exactly this reason. Flip, stomp, refill. In summer I sometimes use heavy plastic 1-5 gallon buckets depending on size of birds & how many but the black rubber work just as well year round. You do not want to use plastic buckets when there's a chance of freezing. Ice will split the sides & bottom right out of the bucket. The black rubber bowls cost a little more but are well worth it because they last forever.

8. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks SS! I like the rubber feed bowl idea. Do you raise it off the ground? Right now I'm using a big round galvanized oil pan thing. Just happened to have it on hand. Works well unless someone decides to stand in it. Gross.
    Things going well with both hens. The blue slate I caught in rush hour traffic is a sweetie. Loves her head scratched. The Bourbon Red hen, who's owner died is also settling in. I've been sitting in their pen, in 100 degree heat, just to get them used to me. Man I love that box fan! They are both starting to trust me. Gosh they are fun!! I think my chickens are jealous! !

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I use regular chicken feeders for my turkeys. BUT I force mine to fend for themselves a lot too. They have to join all my birds in performing pest control. I have so many box elder bugs here, and the reason I got birds in the first place was to kill them.

As far as watering goes I used a steel font last year over winter, on a heated fount stand. I had no problems.

This time of year I use water cups on 30 gallon barrels, again no problems.

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    My chickens use a treadle. I love it. Keeps most varmints out of their food. Not sure the turkeys would catch on. I intend to free range the turkeys. Right now I'm only letting them out when I'm home & can keep an eye on them. Surprised how much the slate loves standing in the hose. She always manages to stick her feet in the stream. Again...thanks for all the help. Still trying to figure it all out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by