A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Crowing

Aug 6, 2012
    Huh...never heard the term "cowel" before. But what do I know....one little beard & I thought my hen was a boy.

2. Mountain Mom, I like Eddie. He could be an Eddie. I'll try it out. Thanks!

I'm just catching this... Spur bumps?
    I knew cowl and snood, but beard and SPURS! IS HE A COWBOY? Maybe I should call him Clint or Duke!

Will I need to trim those SPURS or remove them or something? Are they like the chickens claw that I trim?

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I know people trim spurs, I do not. BUT I free range and that is like taking guns away from the police, they need them to protect the flock. Of course , most of the time they just injure each other so I have to use blukote... But then there is no way to know if and when they defend the flock.

4. feedman77

feedman77 Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    Take out for awhile to unload some wood and the thread gets busy.

Congrsts on thread being 3rd most active. If we keep this pace up might be 1st.

The talk of b and w tvs makes me think back. 4 channels and rabbit ears to adjust. Didn't get color til I was about 8.

I never called the bumps on neck cowls just carnucles.

I still stick to hen on grady. The only thing that might sway is if the breast feathers are buff tipped..

I have obe that I hatched swore was a hen from early on but. Keeps me guessing. Have seen her strut. Has a medium long snood. No noticeable Mohawk. Doesnt respond when adults gobble. Small legs. And she/ he is going on 4 months old. Thats y I like turkeys keeps me guessing for a while. Some are easy this one is rough.

5. feedman77

feedman77 Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    on trimming the spurs I don't but my up to 3 year olds are not bad on the hens. But I have a 4 year old that's spurs are about 1 1/2 inches and he laid a couple hens sides open pretty good. He is still in the pens but he us getting permanently retired in October.

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Are you throwing a huge dinner in his honor?

7. feistychick

feistychick Songster

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

I like Eddie - he looks like he could be an Eddie!

8. feedman77

feedman77 Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    absolutely! He's on a heavy corn and high protein diet. He will be the guest of honor.

9. Goodness gracious! 1 1/2 inch SPURS! He's in with all chickens.[​IMG] his harem!
    Look at thos legs! That was Saturday before she became a he![​IMG]

10. feistychick,
    Eddie is good! I'll try it out.
    Feedman, I was going to hold out hope for a girl, but he gobbles.
    Duluthralphie, I couldn't do anything like that. Guest of honor for me means no having to do the dishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by