A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I will raise my coffee in a cheers!

Ralph, I don't wish to see you dole out false information and be humiliated amongst all the good people of the 3rd most active thread...
I just like to chuckle when you are wrong. Especially since you added your byline about all the boorish people.
hide.gif

On the topic of FeistyChick's mystery turkey, I agree with bronze. You can also see spur bumps on their legs by that age. At least with mine I could. That should help you figure out gender.
With the smaller snood though, Dinner has a smallish snood. Doesn't hang past his beak at all. But he has spur bumps and gobbles. And likes to strut by anything that moves.

I'll go get a recent pic of the babies.

I am seldom, if ever really wrong, except for when I think I am wrong and find out I was right. I sometimes test you by throwing out false info just too test you to see if you are truly learning from my wisdom, consider the things I say that are wrong as a true/false quiz, and answer appropriately...

BTW my header came about because of Holm and his smart little keyboard!!! So blame him for that..

I am seldom, if ever really wrong, except for when I think I am wrong and find out I was right. I sometimes test you by throwing out false info just too test you to see if you are truly learning from my wisdom, consider the things I say that are wrong as a true/false quiz, and answer appropriately...

BTW my header came about because of Holm and his smart little keyboard!!! So blame him for that..

Thank you for the correction oh wise Poultry Sage.

Holm is but an innocent kid, I can't blame him! I do like the quote though. I think my father in law needs that on a plaque.

So it would seem that while on my extended vacation, I missed our November guest of honor becoming a man. I didn't notice how long his snood had gotten until I took this pic just now. I also inspected his chest, and sure enough he is growing in his beard.
I tried to get him to strut for the pic, but apparently nap time was much more pressing. He wouldn't even chase the dog.
It must be hard work gobbling at 6 am.

This is the clearest picture I have of the head, it doesn't sit still much! Does this help at all? If not, I'll try for another one. There is no beard showing and so far can't feel the start of one, but I wasn't sure if this comes later on. Those feathers are on the chest right? I'm such a turkey newbie - I was comparing it to narragansett pictures and couldn't find one that looked like it at all. Then the sun hit the feathers and there was such a pretty metallic reddish color that I though maybe bronze?

Definitely bronze. But I'm not positive it's a hen. Yes, the snood is small but that cowl is huge for a 16 week old hen. I shall reserve my answer for a couple more weeks. You either have a very mature hen or a very late blooming tom. I've had experience with both. I reserve judgement on those until closer to 5 months unless I hear a gobble before then.

Good morning! And Congratulations! Third is placing!
Thank you all for helping me with my turkey identity issues. Feels good to know he's a he! We were going to change his name from Grace to Grady but my husband likes Grayson. I'm not convinced. I was thinking about how he has to be first in line and snatches treats from the girls. Maybe Gordon, el Gordo. Any other ideas?

Thank you all for helping me with my turkey identity issues. Feels good to know he's a he! We were going to change his name from Grace to Grady but my husband likes Grayson. I'm not convinced. I was thinking about how he has to be first in line and snatches treats from the girls. Maybe Gordon, el Gordo. Any other ideas?

I know this is breaking the Husband code of conduct and honor, but Greyson???? Come on!!!! Gordon or El Gordo is ok. I liked Grady but I can live with the others, But Greyson, come on get real!

Might as well call him Robin..... ( that is a test to see how many get the connection)

Definitely bronze. But I'm not positive it's a hen. Yes, the snood is small but that cowl is huge for a 16 week old hen. I shall reserve my answer for a couple more weeks. You either have a very mature hen or a very late blooming tom. I've had experience with both. I reserve judgement on those until closer to 5 months unless I hear a gobble before then.

If that is all the bigger his snood is and if he is a he, all the other turkeys are going to make fun of him his whole life. He might have a terrible inferiority complex, become a loner and turn into a domestic terror suspect. Life will not be good for him with that little snood...

Well I'm glad to know it's a bronze for sure! Okay - silly question now, what's a cowl? Re-counted weeks, my best guess is 17 weeks old. I heard one gobble-type noise when DH was gobbling really loud at it. And we had one big tail fan-out. No strutting and no self-initiated noises (only little chirps).

Well, I'm hoping for a hen, but would be absolutely fine with my sweetie being a tom. I didn't know it would be so hard to tell STILL, my patience ran out weeks ago lol :)

Last edited:

I'm not sold on Grayson..... doesn't look like a Grayson :p

I still like Grady and I think Gordo could suit him!

So it would seem that while on my extended vacation, I missed our November guest of honor becoming a man.  I didn't notice how long his snood had gotten until I took this pic just now.  I also inspected his chest, and sure enough he is growing in his beard.
I tried to get him to strut for the pic, but apparently nap time was much more pressing.  He wouldn't even chase the dog. 
It must be hard work gobbling at 6 am.
[/quote]

Aw, he's cute and he does have a big snood!

I'm lucky if I have my eyes open and focused at 6am - you can't expect anyone to gobble and strut at that hour :D

I totally agree (not that I have much experience though)! That is why I went out and checked on Dinner. He had a little snood for a really long time. Apparently his just grew overnight. I hadn't noticed how much longer it had gotten!
I was also noticing the cowl. I didn't know if that meant much, as I only have my little 16 week Tomahawk to judge by. But when I look at the other two, both of which I am convinced without a doubt to be toms, her little cowl is so much more dainty. She is just more dainty, in general.

Anyhow, FeistyChick, you should look on the legs for spur bumps.

CharmedBaker, I liked Grady. El Gordo is good too. I have to agree with Ralph, even though I don't get his reference, I don't like Grayson as much. Doesn't seem like a turkey name to me. But that is just me. I had a silkie hen named Clyde. Maybe you shouldn't take my advice.

Back
Top Bottom