A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    Congratulations on the turkey egg!

2. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! Beard or no, she knows who she is!

3. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks CherMoz. I've always had chickens and oddly found myself the recipient of these two hens, and they are both laying. Didn't expect that. They sort of lay them all over the pen, or roost. Still learning about turkeys. They are so much fun!

4. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    My turkeys tend to like old tires stuffed with bedding laying on the coop floor & 5 gal buckets on their side with bedding in them. Most turkey hens are too big for a typical chicken nest box. Those are a couple quick solutions. If you build them a box, make it at least 18 inches by 24 inches & 18 inches tall. 24 by 24 is even better. They like room to stand up & turn around.

5. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    I'm hoping some of you who know more about turkeys can help me identify this one.... I purchased this one as a narragansett poult, but I'm pretty convinced it's a bronze. I also have no idea if it's a tom or hen.... It doesn't matter to me either way, I'm hooked on turkeys now - but the curiosity is killing me :rolleyes: As near as I can guess, it's about 16 weeks old, give or take a week.

[​IMG]

and a close up of feathers as it's trying to steal the treats from under my legs.

[​IMG]

Appreciate any help figuring out type and sex of this one.....

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Sure, You just want to see me be wrong again! It is not gonna happen! I refuse to rise to the bait and give an opinion on your turkey. Besides I have no idea what a Narragansett looks like.

As far as it being a tom or not, cropping the head out of the picture and making us guess by the feathers on his back is a little too hard for me. But if that is the same one that is on the left, almost out in the sunshine in the top picture, I will say Hen....

Here it is MM a chance to see my second mistake....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I can tell its not a Narragansett hen. But Narragansett toms do look like a bronze.

A good pic of the head and the breast feathers will give a better chance of telling sex of turkey.

8. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Too much bronze on it to be narri. I'm gonna say bronze. Again, baby pix would help. Bronze & narri look totally different at hatch. And, as already mentioned, head pix are needed for a guess on gender.

9. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    [​IMG]

This is the clearest picture I have of the head, it doesn't sit still much! Does this help at all? If not, I'll try for another one. There is no beard showing and so far can't feel the start of one, but I wasn't sure if this comes later on. Those feathers are on the chest right? I'm such a turkey newbie - I was comparing it to narragansett pictures and couldn't find one that looked like it at all. Then the sun hit the feathers and there was such a pretty metallic reddish color that I though maybe bronze?

10. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

LOL - not knowing what a narragansett looks like just adds to the challenge (welcome to my world) :). Everything I read about how to tell the sex kept making comparisons between two turkeys (more pronounced snood, etc) and I only had one turkey with nothing to compare to. Heck I'd never seen a baby turkey in person before, so have been really feeling challenged to figure it out!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by