A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Memphis, what a pretty bird! How does it get along with your other one, have you introduced them?

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I think "she" is beautiful. Very sweet & gets along well with the other bird! The beard kind of threw me. Do Bourbon Red hens normally grow beards? She fell asleep on my lap & Daisy got jealous & hopped up on the chair arm.

3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    One of my bourbon red hens has a beard. Not common. Toms snoods usually can be seen well by 3 months old. My 1 1/2 year old toms spurs are about 1/2 inch long. Beards about 5 inches long.

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks Feedman! Appreciate the info.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

What the ag commissioner doesn't know can't hurt him......

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

This will seem realy dumb, but what color where the other turkeys in the tank/bin/box with him at the store? Where they grey?

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I agree, completely on this with feedman..

Unusual but not unheard of for hens to have beards. Even our hunting laws in MN take that into account, a legal spring bird most have a beard. Even though it is toms only someone in St Paul was smart enough to realize hens can have beards..... Which makes him a genius in government circles here....

8. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

he was the only one, the rest were white and the called them boilers I think.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Ahh.. ..TY

The term they used is broilers, I bet.

He was the lone turkey.. Poor guy! I am guessing someone bought the rest of them if they were blues and did not want the poor black guy. I am kind of surprised the feed store bought him to resell, for some reason, turkey snobs to do like black turkeys. I think mine is kind of cute.............

Of course I am not saying anyone here is a turkey snob... I think someone said once it had to do with the black pin feathers at processing time.

10. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm more of a coffee snob;)

He was so cute and loved to cuddle. Then he got big and stopped... Just like my teenage son.

Thats it, they did call them broilers. Meat turkeys.

So it seems the general consensus is: boy, black blue slate. At 4 months I'm hoping there are no more surprises!

Except onee thing... I felt a funny lump on his chest. Like a bunch of quills in a clump.any ideas what that could be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by