A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Looks like a black ( blue slate) to me

2. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] yesterday.

3. charmedbaker

And does it look like a boy or girl? Duluthralphie and Mountain Mom said boy and that nearly popped my eyes out. I'm taking odds at this point.

4. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    from the pic u put up yesterday. I have to agree withDuluth ralphie and mountain mom.

Tom for sure.

5. charmedbaker

Thank you! It's still sinking in. He never had a gender crisis. I just thought he was a she. My fault for not researching before buying. Only difference is: no eggs and I kinda dig waking up to a turkey gobble rather than a rooster crow. He will continue to be treated like royalty

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have both a black (slate) and a BBB.

I am still going with the bronze, board breasted or no is still in question to me...

He appears too shiny for a black.

When he is in bright sun do you see all kinds of beautiful colors in his feather tips? My Broad breasted bronze shines and has reds, blues. greens that shimmer in the sun. My black, is just black and not as shiny.

What he is, is all academic now, what counts is "do you like him?" and does he like you.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  7. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    I've never had bbb turkeys.

Are the wings on your bbb. Solid or barred.

From what I could see on grace the wings looked solid black. So that's what swayed my thoughts on variety.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Ahhh You are right, the BBB wings have whitish on them, But they did not appear until they got older. They also have that "stripe" across the tail my black does not have..

EDIT::

After re-looking at the pictures I am back to BB.. He has a light colored front in youth, my blacks did not. and he has "stripes" on wings in side view... It is so hard from pictures, when if you see them in real life you, meaning me> can go that's a BLANK.

9. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Yup, he's a black slate. Your feed store must be privately owned & buy direct from a local breeder. All of the chain stores get hatchery birds & only broad breasted ppults because heritage are special order & too expensive.

Now, if you find him a lavender girlfriend, they will produce all blue babies. [​IMG]

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

And I just happen to know where there is a nice girl waiting to meet someone like him....

BTW I did not know blacks and lavenders made all blue babies.. I may have to keep one of my blacks,,, Considering my DW named him penguin I doubt he is ever going anywhere any ways.. ( I think he is a he)

ANd I went back to his baby pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Isn't he a cutey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by