1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

His wings are all blck, some are tipped, tail and wings, with a little grey, but no colors, a slight iridescent black, but just black.
    Everyone got a bath yesterday... Flea dip... So maybe thats why he is shiny, he's clean. :)
    Duluthralphie, I liked him from the moment I met him at the farm supply:) I think he likes me. At least he likes the food I bring. LOL! He gets pushy and must be in it before I put it out for the others. He is still chased off by the old red hen and steals from the others. If he gets to be too much for my little girls, I'll set up a place in the garage with the dogs! They have a healthy respect for the turkey.

2. charmedbaker

Totally! What a hoot! Well, we are on the central coast of California so... Where do the turkeys go to meet up? And my farm supply is locally owned with just a few stores on the central coast.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

My babies are on parole and cannot leave the state of Minnesota. We had an avian flu outbreak in the western part of the state so the Ag commissioner put the whole state on a lock down....

I can't send him anywhere. I have a bunch of lavender girls his age too, so bummer...

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Ralph I hate yo go against a for real know it all but it doesnt look like a BBB.

5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

So I cant sell any poultry to anyone from ND!!!??? Great thats where most customers r from....

6. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I have a lavender girl I was planning to keep...but a trip from Ohio to Cali is awful long & hot in a cardboard box.

7. charmedbaker

Well, I think he has a crush on my Lula, black sex link chicken. Not sure how that will play out...

8. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

Is this a hen or jake? It's supposed to be about a year old. The owner died. Her daughter, a friend of mine, gave him/her to me. She didn't know much about him/her. So we are not sure about its age. It has a cute little beard, but doesn't look like it has much of a snood or any spur development. But I'm not sure when a male develops those thing.

9. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    bourbon red hen

2 people like this.
  10. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks! I thought she was a girl but the beard threw me. Is it unusual for her to have a little beard? For future reference, at what age do the males begin to develop spurs & snoods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by