A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

He is a 15 week old Blue Slate. But the farm supply also told me he was a she so...its anyone's guess!

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I don't think he is a blue slate...
    I am certainly no expert, but he is not the right color.

[​IMG]

My BBB is in the middle here. My blue slate is on the right. They were about 13 weeks in this photo, I think. The light isn't great, but you get the idea.
    Did he have a white or yellow face as a poult?

I had a chicken once that the feed store told me was a Salmon Faverolles.... not even close. She was a white Dixie Rainbow. Sweetest bird. I think sometimes they just want to get rid of certain birds and will tell you they are x-bird and x-age. Either way, I think they usually turn into happy mistakes! Seems that way for Grady, anyhow!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Here I am dasher of dreams....

He is not a blue. Let me show you a blue:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The top is a blue hen, the bottom a self blue poult

I am guessing bronze and based on size a Board breasted, my heritage are not that big in the chest, my BB are,

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  4. charmedbaker

OK Mountain Mom and Duluthralphie, Just tell me the care is the same. This is my first turkey. I know nothing about them. He was as an impulse buy with three chicks. He had the cutest yellow face as a poult-Posted pic earlier in this thread.
    You aren't pulling my leg, are you?
    I dont care about breed or gender, I'm just bummed I won't have turkey eggs!

5. charmedbaker

Duluthralphie and Mountain Mom, you have beautiful birds by the way!

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    The care is the same.

If he is a BB he may grow too fast and die too young. I have no idea if you can extend their life by withholding feed like you can with a CX or not. BUT either way he is a great turkey and turkeys are great pets. I find it hard to process my turkeys ( read I chicken out and sell them alive).

They are so social and friendly everything they do brings a smile to your face. We can be in the house and JJ will come to a window and gobble at us, to let us know we are not paying enough attention to him. He loves to be held, of course when I go to pick him up he takes a step or two away just so he can claim it is against his will. Something like a teen having to go to a family doings.

7. charmedbaker

He definitely makes me smile and is a great pet! He is very entertaining!

8. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Blue slates produce 3 colors: black, blue & lavender. If you have a pic of him as a baby I can give you a definite on his coloring & also most likely on whether he's broad breasted or heritage. However, being that this is a feed store poult & they typically only get in bbb & bbw I'm about 99% sure you got a bbb. In order to get heritage turkeys you typically have to order from a hatchery or buy direct from a breeder. Broad breasted poults under a week old typically run $5-8. Heritage will run you at least twice that.

9. charmedbaker

well, I paid $15.99 for him and $7.99 for my chicks. Baby pics coming...

10. charmedbaker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by