A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

OK, so... Now what? I have 6 chickens in there with him... Do I have to worry about mixed breeding? Will he get aggressive? I was looking forward to turkey eggs! What do I call him now?

If he is friendly has a "hen" he will be friendly as a Tom. My Tom, JJ, is my favorite bird. I carry him, pet him, talk to him. He is harmless to anyone and everything, except the roosters and they just fight because they are all stupid. BUT it is harmless.

The only thing with a TOM remember it is a male and can get aggressive towards people especially kids, Do not get rid of him just watch him, my grandkids love JJ, BUT I make sure I am there (between them to assure they are safe).

Grady????

Trace??

Whatever you want..

If he is friendly has a "hen" he will be friendly as a Tom. My Tom, JJ, is my favorite bird. I carry him, pet him, talk to him. He is harmless to anyone and everything, except the roosters and they just fight because they are all stupid. BUT it is harmless.

The only thing with a TOM remember it is a male and can get aggressive towards people especially kids, Do not get rid of him just watch him, my grandkids love JJ, BUT I make sure I am there (between them to assure they are safe).

Grady????

Trace??

Whatever you want..

Grady :) is very friendly and we don't have kids to bother him and I haven't let anyone out of the coop because I've been dealing with Stick Tight fleas. I want the fleas dead before I introduce them to the yard and dogs. Their yard is big enough.

Holy Mother of Moses! My husband is never going to let me live this down!

Grady is a very handsome boy. And he is likely to see the hens as his girls. Just be careful he doesn't try to breed them. My turkeys & chickens are penned together & occasionally my toms will try to mount the chicken hens. The hens are usually smart enough to get out of the way, but not always & could get injured. No, they can not cross breed, but the turkey does not know that.

Last edited:
OK, good to know. He is 15weeks. I have 3hens also 15 weeks I got at the same time and they are all friends. There are 3 older hens that all chase him away from food. He is submissive to tbem. Especially the little old one footed bantam.
Thank you for the information!

Once he reaches maturity in late winter or early spring he may not be so submissive. I would still keep an eye on him. He's really still a baby at this point.

Grady is a handsome boy! Is he a Broad Breasted Bronze? He looks like my BBB (also a tom, but he would have some serious snood envy if he met Grady!).

Feedman- What a lucky poult! That is too cute.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom