A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most heritage varieties are the same under the feathers except the midget whites which are smaller. So a sweetgrass is not as meaty as a broad breasted, as I don't eat meat I can't say how they taste, I know they take 7-9 month to be big enough, I know a lot about turkeys, but taste isn't one of them, sorry, I did say they were pretty.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

So you raise turkeys like I raise Zucchini. I can't say what it tastes like cause I don't eat it.

I must do things wrong, I find my heritage turkeys take over a year to be large enough to eat.

3. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    My boys take a full 2 yrs to reach max weight, but I have butchered young toms the fall after hat h before just because I didn't want to winter them over & didn't manage to get any broad breasted that year. They were very flavorful but only about 8-10 pound carcasses. That was enough for me & 2 kids for Thanksgiving dinner but not enough for a bigger family. You would need 2-3 birds that size to equal a 20-25 pound adult tom carcass or broad breasted carcass.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am going to "eat" my Daddy turkey (not JJ, his sidekick) this fall, he will be about a 1 1/2 when he is the guest of honor. I have a "queasy' feeling, like I am doing something wrong killing the turkey I have so many babies from, But I need to eat someone and JJ is not on the list ever.

One of his sons will have to be my Breeder next spring

5. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I try to winter over 2 toms each year. Anyone who doesn't sell before snow flies gets to go to freezer camp. I never butcher hens unless they are broad breasted. They get to stay as breeders or get sold for breeding. I cut my flock in half in June right before I moved, so I only have 4 adult turkeys left. I may keep a few extras this fall to rebuild. So far I only have a lavender that seems to be a hen & a bronze that is also likely a hen picked out for keepers. I need to keep at least another 2 pairs yet. That will give me an extra hen & an extra tom come spring. I try to keep 2 breeding quads for spring. And I never have trouble selling extra turkeys if I want to. Someone is always wanting turkeys.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I wish it was like that around here. It is hard to get rid of extra turkeys.

Which is weird, because poults go for 8-9 bucks, but if I try to sell an adult turkey for 15 people complain.

7. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The people that complain about $15 for an adult turkey aren't the people that you want to be selling to. Raise your prices up on the adults and you will find a different class of buyers. That class of buyers look at your low prices and think there is something wrong. They don't even bother checking on them. When I have trouble selling poultry, I just keep raising the prices until I get the right kind of people looking. When I get the price up to where it should be, they sell very quickly.

1 person likes this.
  8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    where is that?

I really have no idea what price to charge. Turkeys are a hobby to me. I do not even think about breaking even.

9. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I charge $15 each at hatch for heritage poults. Prices go up $1 each week I keep them until they are pretty close to adult size. Adult toms go for $50 for unproven & $75-100 for a proven breeder. Adult hens sell for $40-75 each. I just sold a trio of proven blue slates for $200.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I AM RICH!!!!

I HAVE TONS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by