A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Pretty sure I tried to warn someone about shoulder turkeys a while back. Not sure if it was you or not. But yea, not a good thing.

1 person likes this.
  2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm going to pick out a jake tomorrow. I have a choice between a Royal Palm or Bourbon Red. So....interested to learn differences in temperment. From what I've been reading they both seem like nice tempered birds. Any opinions out there??

3. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Does this mean that you decided to keep the turkey??

4. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Turkey temperaments totally depend on how much they are handled when young. You want 1 that was hand raised & carried around if possible. If you can pretty much walk over & pick the bird up you are fine. If it ducks away but is easily caught you are still ok. If you can easily corner & pick it up & it calms quickly then it can be tamed easily with some frequent handling. If it takes an army to catch it & it tries to beat you to death with it's wings then it will never be s lap turkey no matter how hard you try. Go with whichever bird is easiest to catch. If both are easy, consider this: pure palms tend to be lighter weight birds than bourbons. Do you want these to produce babies for meat or just easily handled pets. Smaller make more manageable pets. Heavier make better meals.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Bring your roasting pan with you, which ever one fits best into it, with room for stuffing is the bird you want.....[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Yes Feistychick I'm keeping her! She's is sweet, easy going & too much fun for me not too! Thanks for the advise SS. From what I understand the Royal Palms can be flighty. I think I'm going Red Bourbon unless he's a flake. If these are jerk Jakes I'll pass. She needs a buddy!
    Roasting pan? I was thinking Fryer! I do live in the south. LOL! No...they are not invited to dinner.

7. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I ended up with one poult of the 3 eggs. 1 no pip external. The other looked like it got crushed.

So this poult has 3 very protective moms. I did get him picked up and they were not happy about it.

Most are starting a molt so laying is done for the year. Bators are put up.

Now time to decide who stays for next years breeding and who's goes to freezer camp.

Out of my first 15 I ended up with 11 toms. So I have several younv toms to choose from.

So looks like about 9 so far will go to camp 6 toms and 3 adult hens.

Bev. Of choice tonight headed for mountains. Busch.

8. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    What can you turkey experts tell me about Sweetgrass turkeys?

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

They're pretty

10. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    besides being purdy do they make a decent table bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by