A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    My mom's favorite for years was a Singer treadle that had been converted with a motor & pulley but could still be used with the treadle just by switching the pulley.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Yep, then you know what one of mine looks like.

Have you ever seen the hand crank ones?

3. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Nope. Probably cuz I'm not coordinated enuf to use 1. I need both hands to guide the fabric...lol

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I would guess the hand crank ones would keep "Mom" from taking a lil nip while making school clothes...[​IMG]

5. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    My mother lives with a coffee cup glued to her hand. If the coffee is missing it's diet coke. I could just imagine how crooked the seams would be if she were drinking while sewing since she rarely ever drinks...lol

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I bet..

BTW I was talking "Mom" as a generic Mom and not yours, I don't want yours mad at me!

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I forgot, to mention, I was just outside feeding birds and one of my BBB has a bad limp, I can't see anything wrong with his foot, and he seemed ok when I let him out this morning.

He is not that large, just a teen, so I do not think it is a weight problem.

8. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    She lives in florida. Think you're safe for now...lol

I've had to butcher 2 bbw early this year because of bad legs. I only have trouble with legs on bb from Ideal. Every time I get poults from there it's the same thing. Never have problems from anywhere else. I'll be ordering poults from Meyer from now on.

9. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Sorry to hear about your BBB's foot - could he have jumped on or off something and strained it?

Silly question about my little poults....how long do they need to stay in the brooder? 3 are about a week old and one is a week older. They seem to be running around a ton, and I wondered if they were starting to get bored in the brooder? I'm sure this is a total newbie question :p. They are in a 2x6' space with a heat lamp at one end. They don't spend much time under the lamp anymore (usually just nighttime when it cools off), and they seem to be bouncing off the walls the rest of the time. They've started poking and pecking at each other a bit and I wondered if it was boredom. They are so fun to watch, but I don't want them to do any damage to each other when I'm not around. Am I worrying too much (can you tell I'm a new turkey mom)?

10. mollybuck

mollybuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    WNY
    i had a BBW hen jump off a pallet (on its side) and she dislocted her hip or something. I thought it was broke and felt to see if I could set it, but it did appear to be anything i could help with. she wasnt old either.. 9 weeks or so.. she managed another 3 weeks but wasnt large enough to butcher...

I got mine from Meyer and they seem to be very healthy poults!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by