A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    If this ever happens please forward me the necessary instructions so that I can apply them to my DW.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Whew...thankfully Penguin is ok! Poor guy. Any idea how he got hung up? Things are progressing well with my two adopted hens. Learning a lot about turkey behavior. I can't get over how friendly they've become. Had the BR on my lap yesterday evening sound asleep. The Blue Slate got jealous & ended up on the arm of the chair. Both love their heads scratched. Still trying to understand their varied vocalizations. They sound like a couple of aliens with their trills & chirps!
    How long will they continue to lay eggs???

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I am guessing penguin jumped onto the deck and got his leg stuck exactly opposite of the way I took it out.

The end of the boards make a H if you can visualize that. I think he jumped up and did not get the one foot high enough and it slid into the slot (top of the H). The instead of sliding it out he slid it in until he hit the cross beam. Then he was stuck... As sweet as they are Turkeys are not the rocket scientist of the bird world...

I have no idea how long they will lay. I would think they will stop soon. I have no turkeys laying eggs that I know of right now. I assume they will start in March again.

4. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Whew! I'm glad Penguin is okay!
    Turkeys are certainly not the sharpest tools in the shed. But I really do find them to be smarter than I thought they would be!
    They know exactly when I will not go outside again and they can get away with roosting on the deck railing.

5. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

I was wondering where everyone was yesterday!

I'm so glad Penguin is okay - wow, scary how much innocent trouble they can get into....

@ Memphis - they sound like they've totally adopted you! Turkey sounds are so cool, I don't understand them, but they are fun to listen to. So different from the chickens (who only seem to have a couple of vocalizations).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  6. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Glad penguin is ok.

Is the deck the bad monster he will stay away from now.

My hens all quit in August last year. Didn't get any eggs til March. Now 4 of my 9 are brooding moms over 1 poult. 2 broke their nests last. Week bad eggs. 3 just eating. I've gotten 4 eggs in the last 10 days. So would say mine are done for year.

Plus they are starting to molt.

My toms are totally ratty looking.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    My toms are ratty looking too, but they start getting ratty in June when they start the stupid behaviors. I will be glad when Oct gets here and they look respectable again. I walk in the yard and I have to stop and see if there has been a predator attack, or if it is just feathers they have dropped..

I doubt Penguin learned to not sit on the deck..

And I have no idea what I am going to do with a black tom.... I know what would happen to me if I got rid of him...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  8. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Now Ralph. I KNOW you know better. Do not even entertain the idea of sending Penguin anywhere. Your wife will smell it on you. You will have trouble before you even do anything! Not to mention you are already in the dog house for Cookie. Even though she agreed, I'm sure she is still unhappy about it.

I'm sure Silkie can give you ideas for who to breed with Penguin to get pretty birds.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Yeah, she told me I could breed him to a lavender and get blues. I might have to do that.

Or lock him up during breeding season and not let him have a hen.

10. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    See, problem solved. Now stop thinking about such terrible things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by