A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Silkie You are right, I am not going to be showing birds. I will just keep the ones I like ( read my wife likes) and the rest will grace a table somewhere unless I find another turkey person that wants some.

I have another little black, BUT it is Ethels and JJ's  the lavender/red/rusty/lilac whatever they are turkeys..  and there is a looks almost bronze but "off" some how in that batch. These are the ones Ethel is raising so they are not really into people yet. Ethel is not really OK with me playing with her babies either..   Is black the base color of them too?

It sounds like they are probably rusty slates instead of lilac. If they were lilac you would get all lilac from them. Rusty slates can throw a wider variety of colors including black, blue & lavender of a regular blue slate. I'm not sure, but I think rustys are carrying bourbon red genes to give them the rust color. It may be bronze, but I think it's bourbon. The only real way to see what they are carrying is to see what colors the babies turn out to be.

Silkie had said when I first posted pics of Banshee that he was a lavender, not a blue.  I was hopeful for lavender babies with the blue and chocolate.  I wonder what I will get with a chocolate and a lavender?  I guess some chocolates, some lavenders, and maybe some that are a really light lavender.  Or a black.  They both have black genes.  I don't know. 
Really, I suppose it doesn't matter.  I am just rambling while I put off going outside since it is freezing cold here this morning.

Results from Porter's Turkey Calculator:

Self Blue = Lavender

Self blue tom crossed with chocolate hen should produce 100% blue slate.  Chocolate tom crossed with self blue hen should produce 50% self blue toms and 50% chocolate slate hens.

Ooooooo...sex-linked turkeys!!! I want!!!

Quote:
He is listing Blue Slate simply as Slate. To get Blue Slate in the calculator use B/B in the first selection and D/d in the third selection and don't change any of the other values. To get to Self Blue (aka Lavender) use B/B in the first selection and D/D in the third selection.
Thank you for your help.

He is listing Blue Slate simply as Slate. To get Blue Slate in the calculator use B/B in the first selection and D/d in the third selection and don't change any of the other values. To get to Self Blue (aka Lavender) use B/B in the first selection and D/D in the third selection.

what would I use for the black one?

Per Porter's Turkey Color Calculator the following are the possible outcomes from a Rusty Slate mating.

Barred Black
Barred Self Blue
Barred Slate
Black
Blue Red Bronze
Bourbon Red
Bronze
Jersey Buff
Jersey Buff Semi-
Jersey Buff Slate
Lavender Edged Bourbon Red
Lavender Red Bronze
Lilac
Red Bronze
Red Slate
Red Tinted Lavender
Rusty Black
Rusty Lavender
Rusty Self Blue Semi Slate
Rusty Slate
Self Blue
Semi-Jersey Buff
Semi-Jersey Buff Slate
Slate
Slate Edged Bourbon Red
Slate Edged Jersey Buff
Slate Edged Jersey Buff Semi-

All of these outcomes are very low percentages split evenly between hens and toms. The highest percentage is the Rusty Slate at 12.5% when the percentages for hens and toms are combined.

Hey I'm impressed on of us figured out the Porter color calculator! Been debating the idea of getting a tom for my two girls. My big fear is they will hatch a bunch of babies & I would get too attached to get rid of any!!

I've heard rumors of turkeys wandering off looking for a mate. Do I need to worry about this with my hens this spring??

Back
Top Bottom