A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Charmedbaker- Have you tried neem oil for the fleas? I have never had a flea problem of any kind, but I know neem is great for all kinds of things and works for hard to get rid of garden bugs.

Memphis- I am putting in millet for this fall. I was thinking of buckwheat too. I also sprout lentils all winter long for the birds. I give them some molasses here and there too to help keep up their vitamins. I guess I have no idea if the turkeys will like it since this is the first winter with them, but I find they like everything the chickens do.

This morning Dinner was strutting all over the place again.
    [​IMG]

And after I put the camera away, there was a loud commotion so I ran out to see what was going on.
    The dog had a ball and was running all around throwing it in the air and playing catch with himself. Not an unusual game for him to play.
    The turkeys wanted in on the action. There was a hilarious game of keep away/chase between the 3 turkeys and the dog.
    I am not sure I have ever laughed so hard.
    I ran back in for the camera, but sadly the action was over by the time I got back out. Just a lot of excited turkey sounds.

2. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome, thanks MM! I'll check out neem oil.
    Seeing the dog and turkeys play would have won you money on AFV!

3. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed today that some of my chickens are plucking out their feathers and I've seen two girls eat the feathers. Why? Anyone know?

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    One possibility is calcium deficiency. My guineas were plucking and eating feathers until I added free choice oyster shell.

5. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    Neem oil is great.. You should post up your photo's in the BYC 2016 calendar .. Here is the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1015019/byc-2016-other-poultry-types-calendar-pics-needed

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    MM that is a great picture, you should enter it.

My poults are starting to look different now, they are getting their "adult" feathers and the color variations are starting to show, If they stand still for me I will get some pictures in the next few weeks and ask what color they are, as I am not good at that, at all.

When R2elk posted the list of colors I could get from Ethel and JJ is was shocked and amazed. I saw lilac and rusty slates on the list. How would I tell the difference? I am really liking the "spotted" ones or mottled ones.

I have way too many toms though. There are baby chest bumping, snood pulling and neck wrestling contest going on all day long every where I look.

7. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralphie....what are you going to do with all those boys?
    Well...Daisy apparently hopped the fencing & followed me down the drive to the front of the house. I was working in the garden & didn't notice her until a neighbor driving by pulled over & pointed out some weird bird was stalking me. :rolleyes: Thankfully she's easy to catch. So....what now....should I trim her flights? Really can't have her following me through the neighborhood. I was planning to let both girls free range daily while at work. Not comfortable with that now!

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Turkeys can JUMP also. you might want to break her leg too....[​IMG]

9. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Too funny Memphis! Our turkeys follow us everywhere too. I expected it though.
    They have learned there is one side of the fence I don't like them to fly over, and it keeps them out of the front. They didn't like it much out there anyhow because the kids riding bikes freaked them out.
    I have even trained them to stay out of the garden (which has a much lower fence within the back yard) unless I let them in.
    Why I can't get them to stay off the deck, I have no idea.

Just look at this... like he owns the joint...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So speaking of mottled coloring, here are some pics of Banshee. He is so pretty.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Tomahawk, standing on the deck, as usual.
    [​IMG]

And last, but not least, a show from Dinner this morning.
    [​IMG]
    This one may be a better one to enter... what do you think?

1 person likes this.
  10. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralphie! Poor Daisy. ..she's been through enough! Realized this morning as they were free ranging that if I got out of her sight she starts making loud turk turk sounds. Almost sounds like a bark. When I go see what the heck is wrong she'd start that trill. When taking a break I go sit in the chair out there & Daisy comes over & lays down. Sighhh....my little buddy.
    I'm taking MM's advice. I've trained enough dogs....certainly I can train Miss Daisy! :/

MM...gorgeous turkeys! The Blue Slate is stunning! By the way....is that a red-tri australian shepherd?? Or a BC?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by