A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

MM- you have beautiful turkeys!
    I have oyster shell free feed. They knock it over and don't eat it. The feed I use is game bird grower so it has lots of protein. Maybe it's just the fleas causing the plucking and a random eating. But I think the little ones are getting the eggs too.I'm going to spend some time out ther figuring this out. Old red hen practically attacked the turkey today. She pecked his head and held on shaking it while he screamed. I had to shoo her off and separate her while the others ate. She really is the top of their order.

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    [​IMG]
    Help! Turkules was fine this morning when we let him out. I looked outside a little while ago and the bottom of one wing is hanging down. I went out to examine him and there's no skin damage anywhere. I felt the his wings (no idea what I'm looking for). One feels tight and pulls in close to the body, the other feels like it is loose and doesn't pull back tight. I can't feel anything that is obviously broken, but again I don't know what I'm looking for. Any ideas, suggestions or thoughts? I'm totally out of my realm of expertise here and worried about my baby :th

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  3. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio

Feather picking & eating happens for a lot of reasons.
    1-Low protein. Offer canned tuna or salmon a couple times per week.
    2-Boredom. Offer treats & areas to scratch around to keep them entertained.
    3-Overcrowding. Remove some birds or give more space, free range when possible.
    4-Learned behavior. Once they get in the habit of picking it can be really hard to break them. Try putting saddles on anyone being picked so they can't get to the feathers to pick.
    5-Parasites. Check for lice, mites & fleas & treat accordingly.
    6-Dry, itchy skin. Provide dry, sandy or dusty areas for dust bathing.

Wing drop can be for several reasons as well.
    1-Sometimes feathers come in faster than the muscles develop & as the muscles strengthen the wings will return to normal position. Could take 4-5 days & there won't be any other symptoms.
    2-Birds drop their wings away from their bodies to cool themselves. If it's hot or humid out, this is the most likely reason. Offer cold water & shade.
    3-Young males like to show off & allowing a wing to drag the ground is part of that manly display. He will pull it up when he's done showing off.
    4-Actual injury. If it doesn't improve in 4-5 days or other symptoms appear there may actually be something wrong. Just watch for now & see what he does.

1 person likes this.
  4. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

Thanks Silkie! I've seen him drop his wings to cool off, and this seems different. It's only on one side and he can't pull the wing all the way up again. He tried to flap his wings and immediately stopped like it hurt him. It's only the bottom half of one wing and I think it might be an injury. He lets me feel it - which is a bit unusual in itself. The top half of his wing seems to be in a normal position. Anything I can do to help him beside wait? First time turkey mom, and I worry :/

5. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    Is he any better Fiesty? I agree with Silkie....observe for a day or two to see if it improves. I wouldn't think he'd have let you feel the wing with out showing some sign of it being broke. I'm wondering if he pulled a muscle somehow. Those are big and heavy wings. Poor guy. Is he acting normal...other than the wing droop?

6. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    He seems quieter than usual but otherwise fine (besides the wing thing). He was out ranging for a bit, now he's irritated because I put him in the pen so I could mow without the crew underfoot. I'll let him out shortly, after the last stretch of mowing. They all freak out when I ride by on the mower and I don't want him flapping and making things any worse lol. Have my fingers crossed that he just strained something..... :fl

7. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    Sure wish I was more help but am clueless. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

8. charmedbaker

Poor Turkules! I hope he feels better in the morning after a good nights rest.

9. charmedbaker

Thanks Silkie!
    That sounds like good advice. I do have lots of room for dust bathing and scratching. Maybe it's the fleas. It's time for their dip tomorrow.

10. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    Turkey spa!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by