A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio

If you truly think it's an injury, you can fold it where it belongs & gently use vet wrap to bind it in place. Wrap the wing a few times, then a couple strips around the body to help keeo it from slipping off, then a few more loops around the wing. Only leave it a couple days & take it off at least twice a day to let him try to exercise it. Leave it off for longer periods each time.

HOWEVER...if it is above about 75-80F there, I wouldn't wrap it. He will over heat & could have a heat stroke. If it's truly an injury & you have a place to put him out of the heat with a friend then try that, but not a good idea to wrap him & then leave him in the heat. Most sprains & strains will heal on their own in a few days anyway.

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Thank you so much for the advice, he's my first turkey. I think for now I'll keep an eye on him and see if it clears up on its own. If it's still hanging badly tomorrow, I may try wrapping it with vet wrap (ack - I'm sure he and I will both enjoy that venture). I've got him in the pen with one chicken for company so that should keep him from trying to flap too much.

3. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Well the little turkeys had an adventure today, let them explore some tall grass.

[​IMG]

Then they ran back to "mama".

[​IMG]

So I think we might have at least one boy, maybe two. At least he now has stubby tail feathers - it looked really silly fluffing up the baby fuzz on his butt.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Those little kids are so cute!

5. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

No way how fun!!

6. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Aww...I'm having baby turkey envy! Waiting for a Turkules update. Hoping he's doing better!

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Memphis,
    I am going to have to get rid of Tom. Picking Toms to get rid of is very hard. The last time I got rid of Toms I did not know which Tom I was keeping until the evening before the Asian Mafia lady arrived.

MM The first photo is better than the second, IMHO. If you want a little better quality just talk to Dinner about posing again, in the same spot as the first one.

It is a cold dreary day here, so not sure what I will get done. I can't understand why we can't have 68-72 degree days year round. Today reminds me of the coming winter way too much.

8. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Thanks! Ajax is a red merle aussie. Such a good boy!

9. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    MM any of those would be perfect to enter! I am partial to the last one. :)

10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Feistychick your little turks are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by