A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    I have to agree about bedtime - because we made so many changes to the bird area they wouldn't go in last night. We chased them around for quite awhile, gave up, and DH put them in one at a time after they had roosted outside. Apparently birds do not accept change well :/. Hoping that tonight is easier.

I can't believe how much the babies have grown, they are getting so heavy. Still not sure what we have, but I think 2 boys and 2 girls (or 3 boys and 1 girl). Dang I hate waiting to find out.

Ralph, would love to see a picture of the "holey" tail display :) They look so funny displaying tail feathers that aren't there!

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Is it Spring yet?? Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Hi there! Small interruption...

Please don't forget...deadline for "other poultry" picture submissions is tomorrow. [​IMG]

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Come on ya'all....you guys have some great pictures!!

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have Ethel in lock up today is day 3, so she forgets her babies. I let her out today and she ran right back to them.

So she is doing more time, how many days do you think it will take?

5. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

You have mentioned what a dedicated mom Ethel is.....so I'm thinking it may take a little while :p

6. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

I just added a couple today - it was so cool to check out all the amazing pictures on that thread! I just love getting to see everyone's birds, there's so many types out there that I didn't even know existed :)

7. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralph...put Ethel in with the guineas. That will make her forget everything!

8. Debs Flock

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Um, I don't know anything about turkeys...may I ask why Ethel needs to forget about her babies?

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have no got enough pens to keep her babies covered. They were in an roofless pen, and Ethel sat on them at night under a "topper" for protection.

Now the little buggers think they are big enough to roost, so they wanted to sit on the fence. A sure way to die here.

I put them in the creamette pen. which is covered. BUT Ethel decided to chase and beat the poop out of every creamette that looked at her or her babies. She actually had the creamettes too afraid to leave the coop. SO she had to be separated so I can keep her babies safe.

10. Debs Flock

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Thanks for explaining. Sounds like turkeys are just like other fowl when it comes to their babies. [​IMG] So...are creamettes a breed of turkey?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by