A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I let her out around Noon and she went right to the babies. So I went and got her and carried her back. She did not fight it, so it is getting better. Maybe tomorrow will be the day.
  2. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    Great photos.

Do you use any thing in particular for turkey nest boxes?
  3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Good question. What does everyone use for nest boxes?
  4. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

I built some 2'x2'x2' boxes for the turkey hens that I have no idea if I actually have :lau, but I was building chicken nest boxes so I figured I might as well... Whether or not anyone actually uses them remains to be seen!
  5. R2elk

R2elk Chicken Obsessed

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The number 1 preferred nesting site for my hen turkeys is a pallet leaned up against a wall or a fence.
    2 people like this.
  6. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    DH said that when he let the babies out today he had 2 littles and the baby chicken fly up on the barn roof - apparently they have figured out their wings :/.

I think they are going to be stuck with their baby names since I can't picture calling them anything else at this point.... We have Puff-daddy (who started strutting his stuff at less than a week old and we are pretty sure is a tom), Wings (who is my little cuddle bug and the smallest of the bunch), Lungs (who started squawking LOUD the day we brought them home and gets louder with age), Big Bird (a week older than the others and pretty skittish), and Stripeyhead (the little chick). My poor birds, getting stuck with those handles.

Big Bird is totally enamored with Turkules and is constantly under his feet when they are out together. So far he's putting up with it and tries not to step on the little one lol.

What the heck am I going to do if I end up with too many toms?? I think I have one hen and possibly two, but don't toms fight if you have too many?
  7. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Mine are still way too young to lay but I have a piece of plywood that's about 4' x 3' just leaning against the wall in their coop. They haven't really explored it yet but my chickens have discovered it and it's becoming increasingly popular among them lol. They've formed a very cozy nest there on the floor. I think I pulled 3 eggs from there today.
  8. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I think I'll try the lean-to approach. We'll see if they decide to use it. Thanks!
  9. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    That seems to be the most popular with the turkeys from what I've read on here - let us know if they use it?
  10. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Y'all have been chatty while I have been away! It took me forever to catch up.

Ralph- We JUST got Palisade Peaches up here in Northern Colorado. Well, I take that back. There was a very sketchy looking character on the side of the road near the grocery store that was selling "Palisade Peaches". I did stop, but they were rock hard and didn't smell like peaches. I believe it was a ruse of some sort. He was also stationed in the parking lot of a honey place where the owner is currently in lock up for arson, so I chose not to give him any business.
    I just waited until the grocery store had them. I will gladly ship you some if you need more for your healthy smoothies.

All the pictures of turkeys and Creamettes are great!

Sorry to hear of the losses. We had a hen (chicken) drop dead from her roosting spot. No idea why, she was just over a year old.

Dinner is pushing his luck these days. I am not so sure he will make it to November. He has become quite the barnyard bully.
    Like Ralph said, "don't trust the Tom"...
    He hasn't actually attacked anyone, but he got pretty bold with me when I tried to get him to chill out and leave Banshee (the other tom) alone. He used to de-puff and calm down when I petted him or walked up and told him to stop. This time he was dancing at me and stomping and making a hissing sound of some sort. He is in solitary confinement as of now.

We added a couple of younger chickens to the flock (since the fox ate most of the girls). A couple of Ameraucanas. No eggs yet. And my 4 other hens stopped laying too. Not a single egg in over a week. I don't know what is going on.

My garden has been going bananas. I have been so busy canning and sweating to death in the heat of the kitchen, I have been unable to keep up with my favorite poultry peeps!
    That and being an unpaid chauffer to the small people in my home. Soccer season kills me every time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by