A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I'm new on the block.. I have been reading the forum for quite some time. I am down to 10 chickens and three @ 6-week old turkeys.. I started with six turkey eggs. My chicken hen, Brownie, hatched 5 of the 6 turkey eggs, probably responsible for the three chickens hatched by the other 2 hens, Pearl and Blackie, because I moved three chicken eggs from her just prior to their hatching..The other two hens only hatched the amount of eggs I put under them of their 10 each.. Brownie also hatched 6 eggs in April which they are about 5 months old.. Of the 5 turkeys hatched, one came up missing within a week... no traces so I suspect an owl or a hawk. . Another died in the pen.. it looked as if it laid down to sleep and never woke up at about 4 weeks. One of my three turkeys just started limping today, curling it's toes under periodically. IDK their sex or breed..
We went on vacation, had my nieghbor watching and feeding my little flock, and when we returned, one of our three chicken hens, Pearl, was missing, and one of the six Brownie hatched chicken in April, Ugly, was also missing.. again.. no feathers or signs of a dog fight with them.. idk... I have been babying the chick orphaned from Pearl... I'm really concerned about the limping Turkey...I would hate to loose another... any suggestions? BYC forums have helped me much in the past..

Gosh Ron...not sure what could be causing the curling toes on your poult. Is it favoring one leg over another? I'm sure someone on here may be able to help.

Ralphie....I'll drink to Blue tonight. What ever happened with your guineas? Do you still have them all crammed into that dog crate?

Gee MM....you have been busy! I got tired just reading what you've been doing!!

Oh.. current beverage of choice.. Toasted Caramel, Amorito and Strong black coffee. .My little flock is free range. I coup them up at night when they roost. The Turkeys have made themselves at home with their mom with the rest of the flock as of two nights ago. They are a week younger than the chick's but Brownie has already split from them and took up with the dominant rooster, which though no relation, she hatched and raised... . I'm not sure of breeds or sexes of the youngest ones born in August. Others.. I have two pretty roosters and five hens left as of Saturday when I returned.. Today I tried to separate my two chick's from Blackie in hopes that they would accept the loner orphan I have been bringing in.. poor thing was all alone in the house she and Pearl shared.. She was content with the turkeys after browse cut them loose but not ready for the big house now.. I brought her in and loved on her cause she seemed lonely. . It's cute.. she is a pet on my shoulder till I turn her out with the turkeys.. She doesn't want anything to do with me till bedtime, but she will then pass out on my chest... I will post some photos and maybe some can help me breed and sex them..

Ron was the run covered?

Welcome to the thread...

It could be anything that got them. Where do you live? City or country, woods or plains?

Someone on your "state Thread" might better be able to help you on what kind of turkey muncher you have.

I still have the guineas. They are in a tractor now and I will release them tomorrow if the guy cannot come and get them. I hate caging animals.

It is a shame to have to eat her, she was such a good hen, but with the injury she had she was going to die, and I could not see wasting her. .

I remember soccer season.. busy.. I was Active Duty at the time so the kids mom got the blunt of it.. Now they are grown chasing their dreams.. no time for dad.. so.. thus I have my flock

Yes, but free range during the day.. I'm sure my nieghbor tried, but they might have slept outside some.. I live about four miles from a town, Vilonia. I have seen both Owls and Hawks in the area.. These losses were both chickens.. The hen, Pearl, was small so I could see it, but Ugly, the rooster was very large. I dont see a hawk or owl swooping down and getting him without a fight. I haven't seen any sign of struggle and no feathers.. Labor Day was the last time I saw them on my Guardzilla while I was in Orlando. I found her chick stuck between chicken wire and a board Saturday morning near where her mom had just started laying eggs just before we left on the 31st. Idk how long she was there.

Question, Will my Turkeys naturally separate from the flock, leave em cause they think they are BIG chickens or should I separate them?.. Their chicken mom doesn't show them any positive effect on any more.

Back
Top Bottom