A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralph...sorry about your hen. What is a Creamette? I've never head of them.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have 14 right now in the cage and 2 that will be in the crate of the fridge tomorrow night.

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Creamette are a fancy imported chicken. So many people on BYC call them by weird names. Most often it is Crested Cream Legbar.

Creamette is the proper one.

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012

Creamette is not a proper name for this breed, nor is Crested Cream Legbar.

The breed he is referring to is Cream Legbar, and Cream Legbar is the proper name for this breed.

1 person likes this.
  5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am well aware their are Creeamette owners that take the name and themselves too seriously. For me and my friends they are Creamettes. You and your friends can call them whatever you want. Now chill out and pour a strong drink.

3 people like this.
  6. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I'll pour a drink to a Creamettes! I was just needing an excuse! :D
    I did look them up...very cute...love their little feather tuft hats!

So why do my turkeys occasionally lay soft shelled eggs? They are on chicken layer with a dish of oyster shell. They also free range several house a day. Could it be stress? They have only been here a few months. Maybe they haven't settled in completely. I have to travel for business. ..would that affect them? Me being gone a few days? I have a chicken sitter that looks in on them twice a day. I've never had this happen with the chickens.

7. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Well Turkules can almost fly again :) Doing lots of flapping and skimming the ground.... hopefully flying is next!

[​IMG]

Had him out supervised with the babies and he did really well with them - it's the darn chickens that like to pick on them still (give them another week and they'll be the same size as the chickens and able to hold their own).

[​IMG]

And just because he looked so pretty....he was actually fluffed up every time the drill was being used lol.

[​IMG]

The babies are totally fearless around us when we're working and seem not to care at all about the noises that the tools make.....so they had a very busy day and crashed hard when we sat down for a break.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the big birds are now in their new run and hopefully no more casualties in the yard.

1 person likes this.
  8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Last night,I gave my turkeys a chance to go to bed on their own since they always go in when it rains and follow me in every evening. Well, I realized that they won't follow me after it's dark out and they put themselves to bed on top of the wood pile and in a tree. Sigh*. They were low enough for me to gather up but one of the little ones panicked when I grabbed him (I grabbed his tail at first) and ended up pulling out a couple tail feathers. I feel SO bad! He's ok of course and safely in the coop but I feel terrible for the little one. I did apologize profusely afterwards and he seemed to stuck it up. We'll see if he's mad at me this morning :/

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Turkules is looking great! He is huge.

I like the little red one too.

Of course I like all turkeys and most Creamettes.

Turkeys can be a pain at bedtime. We can almost have them in the door and one ( it seems the same one every night) will make a break for it and we have to start all over. Last night we gave up on one of my hens and let her stay out. We chased her for 45 minutes to an hour, then decided to let her take he chances as there was no way we were going to win.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh I forgot, there must have been a tail pulling contest yesterday. One of the BBB is missing a feather in his fan. When he shows off he looks like a 6 year old that lost his teeth, or a 30 year old that had just a tad too much meth. I need to get a picture of it for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by