A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I've been meaning to ask - where is a good place to get turkeys from? I'm starting to think about spring, and I'll probably want to order a few more. Turkules came from a feed store and the 4 babies were from a local lady - but if I wanted to order specific types, any suggestions about where is good to order from?

Porters has the largest varities.
Then would look online for about any hatchery that's close to your location. Most will haveseveral varities. (Palms. Bourbon reds. Bronzes. Blue slates.) Are probably the most common from hatchery.

If you want adults craigslist or look for bird swap.

Since your first ones came from feed store ask them if they get some for you when they ordertheirs. That way maybe you don't have to buy some of the minimum number hatcheries require.

Fiesty...I agree with Feedman about Porters. If you've never been to his site you need to go check it out. I want one of each! :D

Feedman, 14 toms out of 15 ....yipes! Will you raise them all? What are you getting ready to hunt? I just bought little orange vests for my hens. Kidding...although they would look very chic in them.

Ralph sounds like the guineas have been pardoned. Out of jail & back to moma. Maybe she can keep them in line for awhile. Nice that your building them a deck!

Aurora...the most time I spend at my stove is to dust it. That's an amazing amount of canning.

I did rig a sort of lean-to thing in the turkeys coop and Daisy is using it! Annie still just drops an egg & keeps on walking. :rolleyes:

I just had a thought. Those of you that free range,do you pen your turkeys up during turkey season? I just had the thought that maybe I should make some bright orange saddles for all my turkeys for during hunting season so I can still free range them lol. What do you think?

Waiting for pictures of naked molting turkeys! I really want to see your bald birds! BYC usually has a molt contest each year....I want to win it with a turkey....chickens take it every year!! Turkey's need to step up!!
Hi, this is a photo that I took last year after my turkeys had finished breeding. She hasn't started moulting yet this year but as you can see last year was brutal lol

I'm scared as poop. during turkey season even though my turkeys look nothing like  a wild one, I do not put it beyond  a possibility that a slob hunter will shoot one.

My Sweet Pea is part eastern wild and she looks very much like a wild turkey. I'm mostly worried about her and my bronze mix hen. I don't think anyone would mistake my Bourbon reds or blue slates but this is my first time with turkeys. My one neighbor the other day told me that I should watch the darker ones. Do you think orange saddles would work? I've never hunted so...

My Sweet Pea is part eastern wild and she looks very much like a wild turkey. I'm mostly worried about her and my bronze mix hen. I don't think anyone would mistake my Bourbon reds or blue slates but this is my first time with turkeys. My one neighbor the other day told me that I should watch the darker ones. Do you think orange saddles would work? I've never hunted so...

They could not hurt. But a slob hunter shoots anything that moves and then goes to the bar to brag about the turkey he shot that someone got an orange blazer on him.

BTW I am not anti hunting, I hunt myself. I a anti slob hunters which there seems to be so many of. The guys that think a hunting trip is the same thing as a drunken binge weekend.

And now to change subjects. Penguin is on the endangered list, but not by me! My DW caught penguin jumping on Ethel from the rear and trying to beat her. My DW likes or I should say liked penguin, but she loves Ethel, anything that hurts her Ethel is in deep doodoo.

OMG Dragon Lady! Thanks so much for the molting turkey pic! We all need to have our naked turkey pictures ready for the molting picture contest! It's time a turkey won!! And Dragon Lady that's a great one!

Aurora...Ralph is right. Most of these hunters are only in the woods once a year and shoot at anything. Slob is a perfect description. I was really kidding about orange vests for my hens....sort of...being cautious may be prudent. And yep...i can just see some slob in a bar bragging about a turkey with a vest.

I have an Eastern Box Turtle, Mertle Turtle, who's lived in my back yard for years. Been there so long that she joins the chickens for veggie treats. I have a construction flag on a stiff wire super glued to her shell so I know where she is and don't kill her with the mower. I take it off when she goes to hibernate. Point being...you could make a vest & attach a tall flag.."Dont Shoot my Name is Sweatpea"...Ha...think that would help??

Back
Top Bottom