A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Charmed - so glad to hear good news about ChaCha, let us know how it goes once she moves back in!

Ralph - so glad the guineas didn't get you :)

Memphis - I agree about the lack of daylight being the worst part of winter. About a week ago I noticed how early the sun goes down :( The birds are going to be disappointed in a month when I don't get home in time to let them free range before dark!

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Ralph, don't your turkeys eat the bugs? My chickens really love worms... most other bugs not so much. But the turkeys will go after all kinds of bugs!

I am glad you are not holed up in a truck topper, hiding from the guineas. I hope they stay on their best behavior!

And I have copied you. I copied you last winter with your nesquick and Yukon Jack, and now I am hooked on peach and mikes smoothies. SO refreshing!
    We still have temps in the mid 80's, so refreshing beverages are still in order.

How is Penguin doing? Still in the doghouse with the Mrs.?

I also have to agree that the worst thing of winter is the lack of daylight. At least I live in CO where we are supposed to have over 300 days of sunshine! Gloominess kills me.

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Feisty...i have the same issue, dark when I go to work & dark when I get home. Such a bummer.

So...the trouble maker is a girl! Girls just wanna have fun!! :lol:

4. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Flock Master

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Guineas are great tic control also! For those trying to avoid lyme disease. I know a few people that have gotten it from ticks it's bad news!

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Boy that's right. Lymes is rough. Apparently it can be hard to diagnose sometimes. My turkeys are fun to watch when hunting bugs! They've even picked mosquitoes off my legs!
    I know turkeys sleep outside in frigid weather, but do any of you do anything special in their coops for winter. Mind you, if it gets down in the 20 's here we think we are dying. So it doesn't get too cold. But it is a wet winter and humid.

6. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took some pictures tonight of these brats up in the rafters. Since I've put a light in there for them, they seem to think that the rafters are a much better place to roost than the roost i put in for them (that they are perfectly happy to today on before). Sweet Pea had laid claim to the middle of a roll of old fencing that she's been sleeping in for the past few nights. Smh. I love my turkeys but they are such little brats!

I need some badness for the 3 younger Bourbon reds now that i know that they're girls. Any ideas? I keep thinking maybe Winifred, Sarah, and Mary lol but I'm not sure.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    LOL! Love the pictures. Especially Sweetpea in the fencing!! Pretty funny! I like your names. Maybe since they are red...you could name them after famous redheads. Lucy is the only famous redhead I can think of right now. My chickens are all named after film star divas. Betty (Betty Davis), Audrey (Audrey Hepburn )....and so on. Because they are all little divas.

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    MM,.

Life sucks!!! I ran out of peaches!

9. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Oh no Ralph! I can guarantee regular ole peaches won't taste as good either...

Is your grocery store out of Palisade peaches? I really will send some to you. I would hate to see your vitamin C intake take become dangerously low and cause scurvy.

1 person likes this.
  10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

They had some peaches the other day, but they were hard and just did not give my healthy smoothy the texture or flavor it needed. I doubt it was even as healthy as it should have been.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by