A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Barring any interference from other poultry, her beard will continue to grow in length. I have witnessed my hens eating the beard on my tom but they have not bothered the beard on my hen.

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Ralph- Your turkeys were on quite the adventure! I agree, take a beverage with you next time you have to wrangle them!
    The deck is looking good too! I bet your turkeys agree.

Memphis- It is an Aussie. Red merle male. He is such a good dog.
    Your hen is so cute! I find the beard funny.

It doesn't surprise me Ralph dated a bearded lady after a few too many beers one night in college... [​IMG][​IMG]

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    The tom is a Bourbon Red Royal palm cross.

Thanks R2elk I figured that one was a hen. Now I have two bronze hens! Thanks!

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    MM - thought I recognized an aussie! I'm an AKC judge...he has a nice top line!

Ralphie - I think my bearded hen is darling! Drink a few more smoothies & I bet you will too! Can't wait to see how long her beard gets!

Loss of daylight is killing me! Barely getting home in time for lap time with Daisy before her bedtime. It's a routine now. She hops in my lap at dusk. She's so laid back. I can scratch her belly, under her wings, even pull open wing out. She could care less. She's a funny bird!

1 person likes this.
  5. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Memphis - I know the feeling, race home to get the birds some outside time before it gets dark lol. You got really lucky with your birds, Daisy sounds so sweet!

6. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Feisty...I'm dreading the end of daylight savings.

Daisy is a twinkie. Who knew when I caught her in rush hour traffic! I feel so lucky. I think we bonded because after I caught her I would just sit in her pen. I didn't want her mingling with my chickens, she was in isolation at first for obvious reasons. So it was just her & me for awhile before i got her Annie as a roomate. And Annie was running wild in a field when I got her and she's a hoot too! Her owner died & her daughter called me out of desparation trying to find her a home. She thought she was a jake because of the beard.

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Memphis it Is just weird, like looking at a jackalope for the first time. I bet you get use to it, If she was mine I would keep and breed her hoping for more breaded ladies.

I wrote this yesterday on the MN thread, but did not tell you guys. Two of the three wanderers are dead. I live on a piece of land that is like a peninsula into a federal wildlife refuge that permits hunting ( some refuge huh?) The land is land my family has owned for several generations. It was taken (stolen) from my Dad through imminent domain in 1970. I know to some of you that seems like a long time. To me it seems like yesterday. I really hate the refuge. I consider it stolen property. But I digress.

One of the young ones got separated from the other two, they must have went foraging without the loner. I went looking for them when I saw they were missing. I could not find them. I spent 2-3 hours looking for them. When my DW got home she went looking too. We found remains of one. It appears a "hunter" and I use the term loosely shot it. I have shot enough birds to know what it looks like after they were shot. There was the "puff" of feathers and the ripped grass behind the spot. I think it was a ground shot. The spot is about 5 feet onto my property. I had heard some shooting down there but did not pay attention as they shot there all the time.

I did not find the remains of the other one. I hope he chokes on his 1/2 pound turkeys! I am a hunter myself. I love to hunt. but so many are slob hunters around here and have n idea what they are shooting. He probably thought he was shooting a sharp tail grouse or maybe a mutant eastern turkey. I am PO'd about this turkeys die. I have no idea if I would have kept those two or not, but I would have liked the chance to decide for myself.

I should have used the blaze orange on them!

Off the soap box.

Here is picture of the one remaining. It is JJ and Ethels baby. I think it is a bronze, but not sure.

[​IMG]

8. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Oh no Ralph. That's horrible. I'm so sorry for you AND Ethel. Poor bsbies. We can't cuss here...therefore I'm speachless. Is there anything you can do to prevent hunters from encroaching on your property?

Now I need a drink....

9. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Memphis - both your turkeys are a hoot!

Ralphie - that just bites about the young wanderers, I'm sorry to hear that and I too hope the hunters choke on their prey! DH hunts too, but just for food. I hate people who shoot first and take a good look at what they're shooting after its done. The remaining baby is darn cute!

10. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I'm so sorry for your loss Ralph :( so horrible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by