A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Anyone have a turkey hen sitting on eggs now? My bronze turkey hen is sitting on on a clutch of eggs, and I'm a bit nervous about her hatching this late in the season. Has anyone had a turkey hen hatch this time of year?

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Ralphie - Your deck looks great. That is quite the distance the little dare devils traveled! I'd be worried about predators too, lots of great places to hide out there - but probably awesome for bug catching. Take your giant smoothie mug with you next time you have to retrieve them from the field - you'll enjoy the walk back a lot more :) Mine won't even go for a walk without one of us with them - maybe the coyote encounter scared them?

Memphis. - I've never heard a turkey hiss before, didn't know that they could! Could have been an unfamiliar person that unsettled her.

A couple of the babies are starting to gobble - they are wayyyyy earlier than Turkules was! Baby gobbles are pretty pathetic, but awfully cute at the same time. They are around 8 weeks now I think, Turkules was 5 months before he made any gobbles or struts (he must have been a very late bloomer).

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Mymilliefleur - my hens aren't sitting but they are still laying like crazy!

Feisty - I bet baby turkey gobbles are adorable! I missed all the fun of having babies!

Poor Annie, the Bourbon Red...i was mowing & set the gas can down in their yard. First time she's seen it. Took her a half an hour to quit chirping about it! My chickens thought she lost her mind! Daisy just plods along behind me & the mower. She figured out its good bug hunting.

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My boys... I think... Those bronze r tough to tell on gender!

5. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    Memphis - Daisy is such a smart girl, I can just picture her following along picking up the bugs :lol: Turkules can't stop gobbling and puffing up when the lawnmower is out - so I don't imagine he can even see the bugs over all the fluffed feathers :rolleyes: Poor Annie - maybe change worries her? I hope she figures out what Daisy is doing and follows along, she's missing out on some prime bugs!

6. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    Holm - pretty birds! What kind of turkey is the one that is showing off his feathers?

7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    It's getting toward the end of the growing season so I've started to let the turkeys explore my gardens. They had quite the adventure!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The bronze in this photo is a hen. Bronze hens have light edges on the bottom of their breast feathers and bronze toms have solid colored breast feathers without any light edging on the bottom of those breast feathers.

9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Holm what breed is your tom? Love those colors!

Anybody know if Annie's beard will get larger or will it stay like it is?

[​IMG]

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have no idea. but I have to tell you that is the weirdest turkey I have ever seen. I have heard about bearded hens but never seen one. The head looks so feminine and the bread so not. I think I dated a girl like that in college once after too many beers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by