A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Ralph,
    So sorry about you turkeys. I'm not a hunter but feel any activities that may affect someone else, even remotely, a person should have courtsey and sense.
    Also,imminent domain just chaps my hide. When government pulls that pucky,I get so mad. Edited for content, I had some swear words and high emotions running when I started thinking about imminent domain.

I have a question... I've been letting the turkey and his harem out for a few minutes a day (15 or20). They like it and for the most part don't make me chase them. The problem is the dogs go after their poop. Has anyone ever had a dog get sick from eating chicken or turkey poo? I try to stop the dogs, but I don't follow the birds around with a pooper scooper.

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Definitely not afraid of the cat....checking to see if the cat will vacate the lap.
    [​IMG]
    One of my lap turkeys (have two that like laps and two that infrequently want up).
    [​IMG]

3. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

I have up trying to stop my dog from eating the bird's poop. Worth 30 chickens and 8 turkeys, there's no way I'd be poop scooping their poop! If it helps, my poop obsessed dog is an English Bulldog mix with extreme food allergies and she's never shown any issues because of it. I just avoid kisses like the plague!

Has anyone seen this yet? Adorable!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Charmed....I have only one dog addicted to chicken poop. Doesn't seem to bother her. It's hard to modify that behavior. You'd need to be diligent about standing there & correcting the dog for even looking at poop.

Ralph....I'd post some really BIG extremely RUDE sign at the very edge of your property explaining that they just shot your young pet poults ON YOUR PROPERTY!

1 person likes this.
  5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Here's too lap turkeys! Feisty...they are really getting big. So cute!
    Aurora. ..you may have to make Ralph some orange turkey vests.

1 person likes this.
  6. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

I'll gladly make some for whoever wants some. I'm going to try to get some fabric this weekend and figure out dimensions and everything. My birds are the guinea pigs ;)

7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    We want pictures! Ever consider expanding your line? Maybe little leggings for those long legs and hats for those bald heads! All our turkeys could be so cozy this winter!! :lol:

1 person likes this.
  8. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Maybe not hats and leggings but maybe neck warmers lol! Like a big cozy sock ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Neck warmers! Great idea! :D

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    We joked about the vest and neck warmers who would know we would really need them?

Both my dogs eat chicken and turkey poop. It disgusts me. There is no way to get them to stop. The best you can do is get the to eat it on the sly so you do not have to watch it.

It is the true perpetual energy machine cycle. Dogs eat birds poop. Birds eat dogs poop... it never ends.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by