A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Good ideas :) I'll have to see exactly what they have available at the store. The neck warmers were a joke btw lol

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Maybe we could just superglue a little orange flag to their heads!

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    And another question for you turkey people.

One of the "Meth Boys" BBB has a large sac low on his breast bone, I have noticed it for a few days and never thought much about it. Today I notice it has grown a lot. I caught him, which he did not like, and felt of it, it seems to be filled with fluid.

I am thinking about draining it. Any ideas as to what it could be? Yea or Nay on the draining of it?

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralph...no idea about the sac. I had a hen that developed on between her legs. Actually took her to the vet who drained it. But it was due to heart or liver failure. The draining gave her a month or so of relief but there was no long term solution. I had to put eventually her down. Not sure about a sac in that area.

I love the flag idea too! How about spray painting the tips of their wings orange?

1 person likes this.
  5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    This is not that uncommon in BB turkeys that spend too much time laying down. I never bothered with them when I was raising BB turkeys since I only had them on toms and would peel them out when I butchered them. It is most likely a large cyst. You should check on the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum for advice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    We drained it. I am fairly sure he has ascites. He has been eating too much corn and not enough protein,I figure if I can drain it a few time in the next month, it will be ok, he does nt have that much longer before he comes inside and graces our table with his appearance.

7. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    [​IMG]
    A recent poster wanted to know if she could put bling on her guineas, so you never know.

8. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Bling out their guineas! :th

We've all seen those chicken sweaters!!

Next time those calender folks ask us for pictures we could all submit blinged out turkey pictures. I can just see Daisy in leggings & a pink tutu.

1 person likes this.
  9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I just noticed BYC launched their annual "Worst Molt" contest. Not exactly sure if anything but a chicken is eligible. But I think if any of us get some good bald turkey pictures we should enter! :)

10. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Good idea! lol perhaps I should enter my bald turkey pic lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by