A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

You should and post the picture here too!

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    For sure...i wanna see some bald turkeys!

3. RetiredRon

RetiredRon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR

Haha;-)

You sure it was a girl you dated in college?

I had some soldiers tell me stories about their weekend... too many beers ended with them finding out it wasn't a girl..

I think I have a Tom and two hens in my turkeys but all have the beard..

One has been acting like a Tom and even fluffy out.. I'm thinking it's a Tom and the others are hens.. idk.. this is my first experience with turkeys

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

How old are your turkeys?

A beard does not appear until the bird is over a year old.

5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Although they are not visible to the naked eye, my 3 1/2 month old toms are starting their beards right now. You have to move feathers out of the way but the beards are there.

1 person likes this.
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh cool, I will have to catch one and dig into his feathers

7. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    An so it begins. Dinner is now feasting on corn along with his wild game grower.

I built a new roost in the "turkey habitat" for Banshee and Tomahawk. Dinner is too big to get himself up there.
    Let me tell you, digging post holes in September, with no rain since July, makes for some seriously hard work! I think I want an auger for Christmas.

Yesterday's poultry escapades included me running around like, well, a chicken with it's head cut off.
    I was going to be leaving for a long afternoon of shuttling children to soccer practices all over town. I was not going to be home until after dark and I didn't want the chickens coop unlocked incase there was a sneaky creature looking for a snack.
    There are 2 birds that have never liked to be held. Everyone else at least tolerates it, if not enjoys it. Well, before over half the flock was eaten, they enjoyed being held. There are only 4 chickens left and 2 of them are ornery.
    They no longer will come running for a can of scratch. I believe while we were gone, our house/poultry sitter let them out every day, and not realizing they would go in at night on their own, over used the scratch in a can method. They aren't falling for it.
    So, I was running around trying to chase down the dang birds. Mind you, they are molting so they won't squat.
    I kept at it for around 40 minutes, all the while swearing at them and telling them they were foolish and unreasonable. Threatening to eat them if they didn't get into the coop.
    The turkeys had a hay day.
    CHASE FOR 40 MINUTES! Seriously, hopping and flittering around and running at break neck speed to catch up. It was so adorable!
    As for the badly behaved chickens, they were locked out.
    Luckily I have an awesome neighbor who came over around dusk and let them into their coop. For her, they were patiently waiting by the door.

2 people like this.
  8. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Been there done that. Using a rented power auger and two stout men to run still required taking the auger out of the hole and using a digging iron to break the glaze formed by the auger and then you still have to use a regular post hole digger to get the dirt out of the hole. Not fun.

I have been digging post holes here under the same conditions and once I get the hole started with the hand operated post hole digger, I keep a bucket of water handy and keep pouring water in the hole as needed. It makes the digging really easy as the water soaks in.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have an augur that attaches to my bobcat you two can borrow. It drills a hole in about 15 seconds.

10. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

I can sympathize with digging post holes, we just finished adding on to the fenced area - it was kind of like chipping at rock with everything being so dry! I can totally picture the chicken chase.....my turkeys love to chase us when we're trying to round up chickens....apparently it is a great game in their minds lol :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by