A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Last night when I went to put the Meatballs to bed the Meth Boys, JJ and sidekick decided to help. If I was chasing chicken they could not figure out why they couldn't. Hence the same results as MM.s

1 person likes this.
  2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I use the can of treats to get chickens in their pen too. Luckily they still fall for it. The issue I have is my two turkey hens want to run in there to grab treats. So I feel like as goalie protecting the net trying to keep the turkeys out but let the chickens in. It's worse if I try to put turkeys up first...i have more chickens & they are sneaky fast!

1 person likes this.
  3. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Lol, most nights I wait until the chickens go to bed to lure the turkeys in, otherwise the chickens flood in and the turkeys run out. On nights my daughter has dance class, they have to go in early so they don't roost in the trees. It's always crazy!

2 people like this.
  4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    We have two parts to our coop. We chase the turkeys into the inner coop and lock them in there, then we let the chickens go in at will. When they are in. I lock the outside door and open the inside door so the turkeys and chickens can mingle. We even get the guineas in half the time!

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Getting all the fowl sorted out & tucked in can be a challenge. My friends accuse me of turning down their roosts & putting chocolates on their little pillows.

6. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Well it was weird last night. Put the chickens in their run then locked up the turkeys. Suddenly all chickens and the turkeys turned into statues. You know when they perceive some kind of danger & get real still & make those low growling sounds. Both groups in separate pens. It was almost dark by then. I stood there for awhile & have no idea what was upsetting everybody. It was creepy. I finally went in the house, they were still all frozen in place. Let the dogs loose so wasn't too worried. Everyone is fine this morning, but sure was strange last night.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I had a couple make a ruckus just as it was getting dark too, I went to check and there was a chipmunk in the coop stealing their feed. It really upset them. I have not looked in on them yet. I don't let them out until it is good and bright outside. Gives them a chance to lay eggs in the nest and lets the flying raptors a chance to eat something else.

The other day I had 3 eagles circling. I think they ate Ethel's last remaining baby. Oh, Well, he was slightly retarded.

8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I heard a ruckus outside the other day. I looked out the window in time to see a hawk dive down across my yard and back up into the trees. Everyone was safely hiding under the pine trees and still screaming their warning. I went outside for a bit and it decided it wasn't getting anything and flew off.

So, i picked up some fabric to attempt these turkey vests :) i only grabbed one yard of each for now to try it out. The one on the left is light weight nylon and will be the top layer. The one on the right is like a mesh and it will be the bottom layer that will sit against their feathers. I've only ever used cotton fabrics so hopefully this works lol.

[​IMG]

9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Wow....that looks like perfect turkey safety vest material. Can't wait to see the first test fit!

Ralphie. ..what makes you think Ethel 's baby was retarded? I feel bad the three are gone. That's a shame. Does Ethel still look for them?

10. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado

Feisty- We can borrow Ralph's bobcat! We can make a cross country bobcat road trip!

Poor Ethel! Why do you think there was something awry with the last baby? I think Ethel should beat you with her wings for saying such a thing about her baby!!

You could also make tutus out of the one on the right! Safe and fashionable.

So I didn't let the chickens out yesterday. I was still angry with them. I know they will be angry with me today. Oh well. Getting home late, when it is already dark, doesn't bode well for the girls having their coop doors wide open.
    Before the fox attack, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. We had been really lucky with predators. They didn't come. But now I am not taking and unnecessary chances.

Dinner is calling me. He really wants some more corn! Man do they gobble that stuff up. They also ate it out of the garden. Completely demolished one morning. Oh well. I love them anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by