A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Charmed - our 3 bulldogs will chicken/turkey poop if they think we aren't paying attention, and so far no ill-effects.

Aurora - I'm dying to see the orange vests, please post pics when you get a prototype done :). You may start a new trend - I know we have lots of hunters here and I suspect they wouldn't think twice about shooting on our land if something moved. I only let mine out supervised right now, but I'm still nervous.

1 person likes this.
  2. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I'm glad to hear my dogs aren't the only gross ones! No more kisses from them! Since the birds are only out supervised, I can usually catch the dog snacking. He sulks away like I beat him when I say No in my stern voice. I just didn't want them to get toxic disease or something.

I'm in for vests or whatever! You can start a whole new business!

1 person likes this.
  3. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Ralph, i am so sorry. I hope you have signs posted for your private property. Did you call the hunting and game dept?
    This baby is a bronze. I think it is outrageous that our government can steal our property!
    I would try to get it on the local news stations.

4. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Don't worry everyone, I promise to post pictures :) the main questions I'm still trying to answer for myself are should I just use cotton fabric or go for something more weather resistant or even reflective and should I line them in cotton or fleece? Hmmm... lol. I even thought of personalizing them by stitching on their names but I think I'm getting ahead of myself here lol

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    I would go with a more weather resistant material. Although they do make more weather resistant and snag resistant versions of cotton.

6. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Aurora. ..the possibilities are endless!

7. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Durable, weather resistant to avoid becoming sogging wet and reflective are good. You don't want to add an insulating effect since it messes with the bird's ability to regulate its own temperature. I don't believe "neck warmers" are a good idea for the same reason, perhaps a mesh fabric to help avoid heat retention.

1 person likes this.
  8. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I am so sorry to hear about the babies Ralph! What a bunch of jerks. I have another word in mind, but don't want a nastygram.

I can't wait to see the turkeys in vests!

Memphis- I still can't believe how you lucked out with your girls! I love turkey snuggles.

I held Dinner on my lap this past weekend. He was so heavy, he left turkey foot bruises on the tops of my legs. I think it is time to add some corn to his diet and get ready for the hardest day of the year thus far.
    I believe this process will require more than one stiff drink.

9. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    R2elk....great ideas. As usual!

MM...keep us posted on Dinner...we'll toast him...good excuse for a drink.

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    R2elk that is a great idea, use the stuff they make vests out of for construction workers during the summer!

R2elk, did I get that turkey right is it a bronze? Can you take a guess at the sex yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by