A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Charmed - our 3 bulldogs will chicken/turkey poop if they think we aren't paying attention, and so far no ill-effects.

Aurora - I'm dying to see the orange vests, please post pics when you get a prototype done :). You may start a new trend - I know we have lots of hunters here and I suspect they wouldn't think twice about shooting on our land if something moved. I only let mine out supervised right now, but I'm still nervous.

Well, I'm glad to hear my dogs aren't the only gross ones! No more kisses from them! Since the birds are only out supervised, I can usually catch the dog snacking. He sulks away like I beat him when I say No in my stern voice. I just didn't want them to get toxic disease or something.

I'm in for vests or whatever! You can start a whole new business!

Memphis it Is just weird, like looking at a jackalope for the first time. I bet you get use to it, If she was mine I would keep and breed her hoping for more breaded ladies.

I wrote this yesterday on the MN thread, but did not tell you guys. Two of the three wanderers are dead. I live on a piece of land that is like a peninsula into a federal wildlife refuge that permits hunting ( some refuge huh?) The land is land my family has owned for several generations. It was taken (stolen) from my Dad through imminent domain in 1970. I know to some of you that seems like a long time. To me it seems like yesterday. I really hate the refuge. I consider it stolen property. But I digress.

One of the young ones got separated from the other two, they must have went foraging without the loner. I went looking for them when I saw they were missing. I could not find them. I spent 2-3 hours looking for them. When my DW got home she went looking too. We found remains of one. It appears a "hunter" and I use the term loosely shot it. I have shot enough birds to know what it looks like after they were shot. There was the "puff" of feathers and the ripped grass behind the spot. I think it was a ground shot. The spot is about 5 feet onto my property. I had heard some shooting down there but did not pay attention as they shot there all the time.

I did not find the remains of the other one. I hope he chokes on his 1/2 pound turkeys! I am a hunter myself. I love to hunt. but so many are slob hunters around here and have n idea what they are shooting. He probably thought he was shooting a sharp tail grouse or maybe a mutant eastern turkey. I am PO'd about this turkeys die. I have no idea if I would have kept those two or not, but I would have liked the chance to decide for myself.

I should have used the blaze orange on them!

Off the soap box.

Here is picture of the one remaining. It is JJ and Ethels baby. I think it is a bronze, but not sure.

Ralph, i am so sorry. I hope you have signs posted for your private property. Did you call the hunting and game dept?
This baby is a bronze. I think it is outrageous that our government can steal our property!
I would try to get it on the local news stations.

Don't worry everyone, I promise to post pictures :) the main questions I'm still trying to answer for myself are should I just use cotton fabric or go for something more weather resistant or even reflective and should I line them in cotton or fleece? Hmmm... lol. I even thought of personalizing them by stitching on their names but I think I'm getting ahead of myself here lol

Last edited:
Don't worry everyone, I promise to post pictures
smile.png
the main questions I'm still trying to answer for myself are should I just use cotton fabric or go for something more weather resistant or even reflective and should I line them in cotton or fleece? Hmmm... lol. I even thought of personalizing them by stitching on their names but I think I'm getting ahead of myself here lol
I would go with a more weather resistant material. Although they do make more weather resistant and snag resistant versions of cotton.

Don't worry everyone, I promise to post pictures
smile.png
the main questions I'm still trying to answer for myself are should I just use cotton fabric or go for something more weather resistant or even reflective and should I line them in cotton or fleece? Hmmm... lol. I even thought of personalizing them by stitching on their names but I think I'm getting ahead of myself here lol

Durable, weather resistant to avoid becoming sogging wet and reflective are good. You don't want to add an insulating effect since it messes with the bird's ability to regulate its own temperature. I don't believe "neck warmers" are a good idea for the same reason, perhaps a mesh fabric to help avoid heat retention.

I am so sorry to hear about the babies Ralph! What a bunch of jerks. I have another word in mind, but don't want a nastygram.

I can't wait to see the turkeys in vests!

Memphis- I still can't believe how you lucked out with your girls! I love turkey snuggles.

I held Dinner on my lap this past weekend. He was so heavy, he left turkey foot bruises on the tops of my legs. I think it is time to add some corn to his diet and get ready for the hardest day of the year thus far.
I believe this process will require more than one stiff drink.

R2elk....great ideas. As usual!

MM...keep us posted on Dinner...we'll toast him...good excuse for a drink.

R2elk that is a great idea, use the stuff they make vests out of for construction workers during the summer!

R2elk, did I get that turkey right is it a bronze? Can you take a guess at the sex yet?

Back
Top Bottom