A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Sooo a question: the turkeys have made the several feet of ground around the coop door entrance fairly muddy (along with poop). Since it’s outside the coop and gets rained on should I do something like hog fuel (large wood chips), gravel, or straw?

Edit: it’s clay soil so it’s slick as snot in the rain.

Sooo a question: the turkeys have made the several feet of ground around the coop door entrance fairly muddy (along with poop). Since it’s outside the coop and gets rained on should I do something like hog fuel (large wood chips), gravel, or straw?

I added leaves,sand shavings... what ever I had on hand

Enjoyed the heat wave today. Almost mid 30s. Above freezing so the rain we got yesterday didnt stick and was gone quick.
Today's low temp so far was 36°F at 12:34 AM. It is currently 41°F and got up to 50°F yesterday. There is really good snowball snow everywhere because of the 20.6" of snow I got in December. The paths are really slick from the packed snow. As is normal here the wind is blowing.

The toms never stopped displaying all winter but the hens are not yet in receiving mode. Around here that won't happen until next month followed by eggs in the middle of March.

gravel and lime

OH and I added barn lime,it soaks up and cut down smells and bacteria... spread thin and dry items on top...it gets churned together
x2!!

I put down the remaining portion of straw I had on hand and will rake and replace once we get a haul of gravel.

Good idea on the lime, we used to have to do that in our rental that had a small hard packed yard and we had 3 dogs peeing on it. So we would lime it periodically to keep noses happy.

Back
Top Bottom