A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Higher protein feed. When mine lay they are on 20 percent protein flockraiser. Free choice oystershell.

If you can find one try a full spectrum bulb in coop

My hens are lazy probably won' give me any eggs for about another month or so. But I don't artificially light.

I don't think that it is the light doing it nor the protein percentage. I'll try getting higher protein percentage and hope that helps. It is the exact same thing that I did last year when I got 10 eggs a day so I don't know exactly what is wrong. They also have the oyster shell to eat, free choice.

I feed mine 18% grower year round. They have a dispenser full of oyster shell that they pick at as needed. As far as artificial light, I turn it on at about 6:30-7am when I go out to feed them and turn it off at 7:30-8pm. So far, I have 2 out of 8 hens giving me eggs (one just started this week, the other about 3 weeks ago).

Mountain Bourbons....Last year my girls started laying in early December. This year, no eggs yet. Last year we hardly had a winter. This year has been brutal. Other than the weather, nothing is different....same feed, no additional light....etc. Could the weather have something to do with it? I don't know. But my girls just filled out job applications to become long range weather forecasters for the Weather Channel.

I use a 22% breeder pellet I get from a feed mill that makes it themselves. The current cost is about $20 for a 100lb bag! That is cheaper than 16% layer feed anywhere else. I encourage everyone to look into local feed mills. They, like all small ag businesses, are often struggling on the face of the "big guys" like Purina, so you would be supporting local business as well as getting a cheaper, better product.

Hi Everyone! Question. How serious does fighting between toms becomes a need to separate situation? Suddenly, both Tommie and Iron have decided someone has to be boss. Crossed beaks to beaks and all. Should I separate them or just let them have at it?
:confused:

Hi Everyone! Question. How serious does fighting between toms becomes a need to separate situation? Suddenly, both Tommie and Iron have decided someone has to be boss. Crossed beaks to beaks and all. Should I separate them or just let them have at it?
:confused:
If you separate them and they only have a wire fence between them, they will continue to fight endlessly through the fence.

If you separate them and they only have a wire fence between them, they will continue to fight endlessly through the fence.
Lesson I learned last winter. Bachelor pad was in view of breeding chamber. Not gonna do that again.:th I resorted to 1/2" plywood and they knocked it down. This year bachelor pad will be in another pasture. Breeding chamber and convent will be in the greenhouse.

Back
Top Bottom