A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I've got good news and bad news today.

The good news is, my first turkey eggs of the year are in lockdown! YAY! I'm hoping for a great first hatch and I'll get to see who was actualy the first to start laying out there (or at least get a clue anyway)

The bad news is, while I was closing the coop tonight, I walked over to Pebbles to warm my hands under her wings (only you guys would understand) and felt this weird thing on her left side. So I looked, and it looks e she has a pretty nasty breeding injury. She Indiatimes squatted when I or my hands under her wings and would not get up, she wants to breed but that has me worried. It looks like it's been a couple days since it happened since it was scabbed over but it looks like her skin was ripped in a 3-4 inch gash and then ripped downward a couple inches. I immediately caught Cuddles and stole the saddle off her and threw it on Pebbles instead. Looks like I'll be making more turkey saddles for the easy girls. I checked everyone else and nobody else has an issue right now thankfully. I'll be bringing her in tomorrow morning to get a closer look at the damage. I'm sure she'll heal fine with protection over it. My biggest fear is infection right now since she's still so willing to squat down for everyone.

The good news is, my first turkey eggs of the year are in lockdown! YAY! I'm hoping for a great first hatch and I'll get to see who was actualy the first to start laying out there (or at least get a clue anyway)

The bad news is, while I was closing the coop tonight, I walked over to Pebbles to warm my hands under her wings (only you guys would understand) and felt this weird thing on her left side. So I looked, and it looks e she has a pretty nasty breeding injury. She Indiatimes squatted when I or my hands under her wings and would not get up, she wants to breed but that has me worried. It looks like it's been a couple days since it happened since it was scabbed over but it looks like her skin was ripped in a 3-4 inch gash and then ripped downward a couple inches. I immediately caught Cuddles and stole the saddle off her and threw it on Pebbles instead. Looks like I'll be making more turkey saddles for the easy girls. I checked everyone else and nobody else has an issue right now thankfully. I'll be bringing her in tomorrow morning to get a closer look at the damage. I'm sure she'll heal fine with protection over it. My biggest fear is infection right now since she's still so willing to squat down for everyone.

Congrats on eggs going to lockdown. Good luck on hatch.

Sorry to hear about pebbles. I had a bourbon red hen that got sliced severely during mating. Looked terrible. Blue koted it. Separated her for awhile. She healed fine. Even tried to brood later in the season.

Hope she heals fine.

Congrats on eggs going to lockdown. Good luck on hatch.

Sorry to hear about pebbles. I had a bourbon red hen that got sliced severely during mating. Looked terrible. Blue koted it. Separated her for awhile. She healed fine. Even tried to brood later in the season.

Hope she heals fine.

Thank you, I'm sure she will. I may just set up a crate in the coop for her so they can't get to her but she doesn't have to leave everyone. Pebbles is almost always the first one to try to brood every year here (and will starve herself until she gets a baby). Sabrina is trying to brood right now but I keep kicking her out of the nest. It's not the right time for that!

C'mon bug-eyed babies!! :fl

:hugs sorry about pebbles, good thing you made that saddle

I will be setting a turkey egg when I put my duck eggs in the bator tomorrow.... this will be my first try with duck eggs. The turkey egg is from the same guy I got the last turkey eggs from. I managed to hatch one out of two last time so we will see how it goes.....

Thank you, I'm sure she will. I may just set up a crate in the coop for her so they can't get to her but she doesn't have to leave everyone. Pebbles is almost always the first one to try to brood every year here (and will starve herself until she gets a baby). Sabrina is trying to brood right now but I keep kicking her out of the nest. It's not the right time for that!
My BBB was tore up 2x... the 2nd time he got under the saddle and I didn't see it right away either.. the gash showed the separate muscles of the breast:barnie:sick almost to the ribs... she healed up and went broody 2x, but I never got fert eggs:hit...I quit letting her breed.... .... in the fall she was processed and skinned...couldn't even see any damage in the meat.... she was such a sweet girl, but got too big and her ankles bothered her:hit

I still have my BBB. IMHO they really aren't meant to breed. She is the only hen that gets cut up during breeding season.
I agree they are meant for AI not breeding... but that was the only hen I got the first yr out of 2 bbb and 4 nari.. so I tried to work w/what I had.... last year out of 3 I got 1 bronze hen and 3 toms; 1 rusty bronze and 1 calico

Back
Top Bottom