A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Do turkey eggs taste like chicken eggs, just bigger? I've never tasted one and I really can't wait to :)

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I like them. They are richer than a chicken egg. That's why the folks who bake like them. The consistency is a bit different. I've had people tell me they don't like them, but any of my friends (turkey egg novices) that tried them loved them & wanted more. I'm letting the serious bakers take them. They consider them so special and rare. My other friends will have to stick with the chicken eggs! :D

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I am going to order 8 BB turkeys from L&M fleet this spring. My grandpa told I have to raise more than 3. He is feeding my addiction!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    We like turkey eggs, they make very heavy omelets and scrambled eggs. The taste is about the same as chicken, I think, maybe a tad stronger, but that a could be all in my head.

We have never baked with any, because we try to hatch them.

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Holm...that's great! Your Grandpa sounds pretty cool. By the way....how old are you?

Ralphie. ..your right, they are heavier. And very tasty. Apparently it's hard to come by turkey eggs because most people would rather hatch them. At least that's what my baker friends say. Since I'm tomless I got nutt'ng to hatch. But it's nice to know their eggs are going to folks that value them.

6. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    I got a cool PM this morning, and a nice surprise to wake up to - a pic of one of the babies (Puffer) is going to be in the BYC calendar :eek:

I hear you all talking about all the eggs you get and have to laugh at myself - I'm still at the stage where I'm checking every day in anticipation to see if any of my girls (the chickens) have started laying yet :gig One started laying 2 weeks ago and another started giving me pretty blue eggs this week, DH laughs at me when I go on the "egg hunt". They'll probably hear me whooping down the road when I find my first turkey egg!

2 people like this.
  7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Oh wow! Congratulations! That's huge....now I'll have to buy the caledar! :weee

8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Congratulations! That's awesome!

I just managed to catch my two boys that are supposed to be for thanksgiving to weigh them....they only weigh 10 lbs each lol. I'm not sure how much wrought I can manage to pack on them with only a month left. They're younger than I thought they were.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    How old are they? I think corn will make them fat but I have no experience. My girls keep a pretty trim figure.

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Must be the cooler weather. Girls were so silly today. I think they were playing. They were jumping, flapping, spinning & twirling. It was so funny. But the funniest thing is to see the expressions on the chickens faces! :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by