A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    That is not too far off from what happened! No jumping off the roof... that would have resulted in broken limbs as it is a 2 story roof. Unless they were Supermen...
    But the swearing in Spanish certainly happened! I did find it humorous.
    Until I was worried maybe they would shoot him with the nail gun. I called him back down.
    Luckily he is a good turkey and sort of listens.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Girls gone wild!

Geez...must be the cooler weather...but my turkey girls were hysterically funny when I let them loose this morning!

They went running & flapping...then started doing touch & goes all over the yard. The whole time chirping their beaks off at full volume! Chickens thought they were nuts!

And I'm still giggling over Banshee & the roofers!

3. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm curious...I've noticed a difference between my Blue & Bourbon Red hens. Annie, Bourbon Red, is much more curious. She will explore new things immediately. Daisy isn't as interested. I've also watched her figure out things...for instance. ...exploring the chicken coop, snooping out the nest box, and figuring out to cram herself in there to lay an egg. This took her about three days. Like a dog with a bone, she kept going back to the coop. Daisy shows no interest in the coop at all.

So my question is...is this a difference in breeds or a difference in individual hens?

4. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    MM - I can just picture the roofers, too funny!

Memphis - I know my bourbons have to see everything and Turkules was totally different! He watches things, but the babies have to "experience" everything. Not sure if this is because they were in a turkey group and he grew up with chickens or if bourbon reds are just more curious?

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I don't know Fiesty.. .I'm thinking the Bourbons are just nosey. :lol: Daisy is like Turkules, she watches everything.

6. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

I think you are correct - nosey describes them pretty well :rolleyes: It's funny how different they are from Turkules....I was unprepared for the 'hoodlums' since my only experience had been a sedate and dignified turkey :lau

7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Turkules is such a cool dude!

8. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    From my experience, it is more a difference between individual hens than anything else.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I agree with you. I have no idea if my red hens area bourbon red or a rust or whatever, but they are not as curious as Ethel, or some of the blues.

Penguin is curious, but only if being curious will get him in trouble. Of course he is not a hen, just a *******.

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Poor Penguin....Ralphie quit picking on him!
    All my hens, chickens & turkeys, are still laying eggs. Got an egg from every hen yesterday. I'm a bit surprised. The turkey eggs have become a delicious asset! A friend of mine is a serious baker & loves using them! I give her the eggs, she shares her baked goods!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by