A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

So wanted to do BBW turkeys but only butchering dates are 9 days before or day before... that’s pushing it I think on either end... possible spoilage or still in rigor. Might have some Christmas turkeys or get completely bumped to a 2020 plan... and due to our insurance and local regulations we need it done at a processor vs at home.

So wanted to do BBW turkeys but only butchering dates are 9 days before or day before... that’s pushing it I think on either end... possible spoilage or still in rigor. Might have some Christmas turkeys or get completely bumped to a 2020 plan... and due to our insurance and local regulations we need it done at a processor vs at home.
You cannot do farm processing???

And I thought this was the nanny state!

You cannot do farm processing???

And I thought this was the nanny state!
Get this: Montana, a state known for rugged cowboys and wide open spaces... Does not allow farm processing. Plus no butchers will take under a certain number of birds, like under 500.

Crazy, I know. ooo found out that there are only 4 NPIP certified flocks in the state of Montana, of which I am one. So there's that weird fact too.

Get this: Montana, a state known for rugged cowboys and wide open spaces... Does not allow farm processing. Plus no butchers will take under a certain number of birds, like under 500.

Crazy, I know. ooo found out that there are only 4 NPIP certified flocks in the state of Montana, of which I am one. So there's that weird fact too.
That does surprise me... I thought that was a farm friendly state

I remember the female dog of a time you had getting certified... but the no farm process does surprise me a lot...

We have a new young state vet who drew the Short straw and she's stuck with us. Oh, have you ever had to send in vials for your turkeys in testing? She decided we had to send in vials for just the turkeys. mom was a bit annoyed about the sudden change.

Oh how great it is to live in Wonderful Wyoming!!

We have a new young state vet who drew the Short straw and she's stuck with us. Oh, have you ever had to send in vials for your turkeys in testing? She decided we had to send in vials for just the turkeys. mom was a bit annoyed about the sudden change.
I need to do throat culture vials on my turkeys every 90 days....which could contribute to my turkeys not liking me....because every time I pick them up I poke them with a needle or shove a swap down their throats.

There was some sort of massacre in the turkey pen last night or this morning. I have no clue why or what happened but when I walked in there this morning, there were feathers everywhere. I found one of Pebbles' babies dead, the other is missing and 3 of Princess's babies dead. All adults are fine. I did worm everyone (adults) last night but that's the only thing that I did. Could that have triggered something? Again, I'm glad I only give the girls cockerels to raise but they were doing so good!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom