A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I’m considering adding quail this spring (if spring comes). Do folks have a lot of trouble with damage to the breeding females? Are some Roos better/less bad than others? Can the roughness be somewhat addressed by not breeding the meanest ones? I’ve read this can be done with chickens...

I’m considering adding quail this spring (if spring comes). Do folks have a lot of trouble with damage to the breeding females? Are some Roos better/less bad than others? Can the roughness be somewhat addressed by not breeding the meanest ones? I’ve read this can be done with chickens...
Quail hatch along

The younger males seem to lose their balance easier, so they damage the hens more. Younger hens don't always know how to squat (or want to squat) to make the male's job easier.

Turkey girls sitting on the porch rail. When they saw me in the kitchen they started chirping their beaks off. Took some blueberries out to them. They sat on the rail & each took turns taking a berry. They both got a little head scratching & a hug along with their berries. They can be such little sweethearts. Nothing like a hen hug to make my day. Obviously it doesn't take much to make my day!!

Turkey girls sitting on the porch rail. When they saw me in the kitchen they started chirping their beaks off. Took some blueberries out to them. They sat on the rail & each took turns taking a berry. They both got a little head scratching & a hug along with their berries. They can be such little sweethearts. Nothing like a hen hug to make my day. Obviously it doesn't take much to make my day!!
It is so hard to believe people call your turkeys "spoiled Diva's"...

:lau:lau

Ralphie...they are much loved!

Neighbor just came to my door to tell me my turkeys were in his back yard. I ran to get my jacket & my two were on the back porch. He said they were blue. Ran down there....guess what's running around his yard?? Two guineas! The kind with spots/dots. No earthly idea where they would have come from. I so wish I could have caught them. They were so spooky I didn't even try. Lucky guy.

Back
Top Bottom