A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Pebbles is a very dominant hen. She and Eve share the position of lead hen in the flock though Pebbles might be just a hair higher. Those two submit to me only and I think Pebbles was making it known that she's above everyone. Eve and Pebbles are the two that come to me when I walk in and snuggle up with me and sometimes lay down for me. Adam has no shame. While they were busy loving me, he tried repeatedly to get on their backs lol. I had to push him away after a while! He would respect that for a few minutes and chase the other girls, then come right back. That boy is ready to roll haha! Next video should be up in about 10 minutes or so.

2. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    this is kind of a long one. 5 minutes of him strutting around. I couldn't get over his big fan tail going back and forth, all over the place!

[​IMG]

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    :lau. That was great! He's trying to impress the girls and they are acting like he doesn't exist! Poor guy. He certainly is handsome. They won't be able to resist his charms for long!

1 person likes this.
  4. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Geez Ralphie...i should have known. I have Black Australorps!

[​IMG]

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    It amazes me how much time and energy Toms put into strutting.

1 person likes this.
  6. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    I was going to ask how long a tom can display. He's probably still strutting around! :lol:
    Think the girls will let him on a roost tonight?

7. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    nah, he's done. I went out to turn off their light around 8 and all the girls were on the roost (except Pebbles of course. She sleeps alone in the rafters) and he was on the poop board, picking his spot. No more strutting for the night. But he was at it for a couple hours lol. He let me pet him a few minutes before bed. I thought he'd be too manly for that after all that work to impress the ladies. Maybe he's just exhausted.

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    My Toms will strut 10 hours a day everyday!

9. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Aurora - he looks amazing!! He put on quite the strut for the ladies ;) Looks like they are getting along really well.... Thanks for posting the video :)

I just got home and one of my chickens has a horribly bloody vent that wasn't there yesterday. So must go change out of work clothes to bath a chicken and see what's going on with her. Thankfully the turkeys seem to be staying out of trouble today (unlike Ralph's lol). I hope that there's nothing too serious going on with Lola :fl This is not a fabulous way to start the weekend....

10. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Funny how he misses his chickens!

I think that is so amazing!

We used to worry Dinner would pass out and die...

I hope Lola is okay!!

Aurora- Great video! Glad everyone is settling in well.

On the lice front... they seem to be dead. Haven't seen any louses. I will retreat in a week to get all eggs that may hatch. I don't know that there will be another outbreak, as I didn't see any eggs on the shafts of the feathers. But I would rather redust the ladies, and possible gentlemen, than ever see a chicken louse again.

Sadly though, the hen that was acting weird that started the whole "holy crap, I have lice" died. Looks like she fell off the roosting bar in her sleep. Second hen this has happened to. I am starting to worry that there is something more worrisome in my flock.
    She was my Barnevelder, hatched this spring. Strange. I considered a necropsy, but I don't know what the heck I am looking for. I'm not going to send her off anywhere either. My kids want to bury her.

Anyhow, on to Banshee. He really may be a she. I will have to double check, but I think there are still feathers on the top of his head and down the back of his neck...
    I promise I will get pictures tomorrow.
    Sigh. More fortification is needed to help me through this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by