A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I have a lot to comment on, but no time to do it. Here are some pics of Banshee.
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
    I can't see them on my phone, hope they uploaded.
    I will be back later to see what everyone thinks! And to interject the reasons I was convinced he was a tom.

1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Wow that is a tough one MM. The head looks masculine compared to my hens, The snood is longer than a normal hen..

The legs look way thicker than a hens. I Would not call it a hen yet. Make it lay an egg and prove she is a she!

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

So pretty!! It looks a little boyish to me...

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Feisty that little tom is a cross between a royal palm and a bourbon red. He looks like a sweet grass though!!

5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Looks like a hen to me.

6. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

I'm going to be the odd ball here and say hen. The feathers come up pretty far on the neck and the snood is still small compared to my slate boys. My Pebbles has a snood at least that big (it even contacts and expands the tiniest amount) and she's a definite hen.

7. RetiredRon

RetiredRon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR
    Question. .. so I moved my coup a couple days ago. I had a lot of trouble getting my turkeys and chickens in. One night they all went to a smaller coup and u carried them one by one to their coup.

Both of my Blue Slates have a course little beard about chest level... That would mean both of them are Toms???

My black one has no little bewee

8. RetiredRon

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR
    I mean no beard

9. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Holm - that is a very pretty little tom! I may have to get a royal palm hen for all my bourbon boys if that is the possible offspring :)

MM - holy cow that is tough, Banshee looks like a.....hmmm, I don't know! Turkules was like that forever - then finally gobbled. Now I'm going to be watching what the experts say :D

Ron - Some hens have beards, so I don't think that's a foolproof method for deciding it's a tom. Memphis's bourbon hen Annie has a beard. From what I've been reading, gobbling, snoods and breast feather colors are more reliable indicators (the experts will know more about this lol). I sympathize about moving birds - they do not seem to appreciate change :) I recently moved mine into the barn and spent the first week retrieving birds and carrying them to bed each night :rolleyes:

10. RetiredRon

Sep 16, 2015
    Vilonia AR
    A Bloody Mary is the drink of choice. .. It's 5 o'clock somewhere. .. it just ain't right without celery salt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by