A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I ran the calculator too and yep....looks like Adam and Pebbles would produce Red Bronze. Which is very pretty! :)

Did you notice what a Narri and a BR would produce...a red Narri. Thats pretty too. Just saying....some day if you ever get another tom.

Although if you got a Royal Palm between Pebbles and the Bourbon Red girls you could get birds that look like Holm's pretty boy!

I love that calculator!!!!

2. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I have to get a good picture of Sweet Pea too. I wish the calculator had the genomes for eastern wild turkey (unless I just missed it). She's eastern wild/Bourbon red cross and I think she looks maybe like a red bronze. I'll get a picture of her in a bit and see what you guys' opinions are on her.

3. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    I messed around with it a little bit as well. First I used T-Bone (sweetgrass tom) over a blue slate female. Than T-Bone over one of the offspring (tri-colored mottled black) and it made some pretty turkeys.

4. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Aurora....get a good close up of Sweetpea....all of us "experts" will try to figure her out. We have such a good track record....(Banshee) !!!

Chaos....I LOVE Sweetgrass! I bet you can get all kinds of fun stuff from T-Bone!! I'm going to go check it out on the calculator....(any excuse!)

I'm still trying to decide if I even want a tom. Waiting till spring to decide. I have the Bourbon Red and Slate girls. My choice would be a Narri or a Sweetgrass. Sigh.....just not sure if I need to open the whole door to hatching babies. I can see it getting out of control real easily! They would all be so precious I'd want to keep them all!! I may be living vicariously through all of you this spring when things start hatching!! And things are so zen with no roosters or hens.....

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

If your like me the subtle differences between the colors and the pictures are hard to tell. So I have to guess. I think the calculator is cool too. But I did find I needed firefox for it to work.

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Lol it happens... I was bored after chores and homework... Its not as bad as putting a coat on one our 4 month old calves....

7. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Sorry MM... Am I young to pull the most famous children line "Ralphy taught me to talk like that!!"

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  8. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

I need a name for this gal... Any ideas??

9. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    You definitely need a tom [​IMG]

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Holm...seriously...you put jackets on your calves? AND sweaters on your turkeys! WHERE ARE MY PICTURES! I wanna see!!!!

How is your hen bred? She's cute....too bad she has no head!! Let me think about a name!

Ralphie...I get confused between all the rusty this and buff that, and then you add in some semi-slates or recesive this and that.... I can't tell the difference! There are VERY subtle differences in some of the birds.

Bottom line....if Penquin isn't riding the bus to Memphis....and I decide to get a tom...I think a Narri or Sweetgrass would be my choice. Would love for Holm to send his cute little tom down here maybe for just a few months...but alas...I only have heritage hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by