A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Yeah I dont have pics of the calf but will get pics of the turkey!!

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Memphis- I think we have messed up another time or two as well... Eve? I can't remember exactly...
    I am still thinking Banshee is a very late bloomer (he is almost 7 months now) or, sigh, a very manish hen.

Tisk, tisk. I can't blame you at all, you sweet young man. Ralph is such a bad influence.
    RALPH!!!!!!

Hmm... she has no head. Is she up for a meal?! Just kidding.
    What is her personality like? Sweet? Mean? Standoffish?
    You know how much I love to name things! I will come up with a few.

So an update on the chicken in the hospital. She laid her very first egg today!! It was a light creamy white. She is an EE, so we will see how the shell color develops.
    I am wondering if there is something up with her producing eggs and them somehow pinching a nerve in her leg. Or, if the roo (her litter mate and BFF) got into a squabble about mating and she got hurt. There were a lot of feathers of hers on the coop floor 2 days ago (she is not molting).
    I suppose we will just wait it out. She has another day or two in the hospital to see.

FYI, I secretly love having birds in the hospital. It is the only way I am allowed to have birds in the house...

The turkeys have left the coop. They are petitioning at the door. There are cries from Tomahawk and pecking from Banshee. My DH went to check and see what in the world was going on. He exclaimed, "I think these *bleep* birds really DO think they belong inside with you!"
    I laughed and laughed. Of course they do.
    They would love to belly up to the kitchen counter on the bar stools and be served warm eggs and sprouted lentils. Maybe even a mouse or two. And wash it all down with some nice cold water with oregano.
    Or they may just be eyeing my pumpkins I have for pies from the garden sitting on the counter. They know they may lose their heads if they get into those, however.

1 person likes this.
  3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Lol she is sweet!

4. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    MM, you may be right about your hen. If she laid her first egg, she may be injured and not ill. Poor girl! I've gone as far as hauling a chicken with a sinus infection in a crate to a dog show for a weekend. She was on antibiotics and didn't want to stop treatment for 3 days.

Ok Holm....holding you to those turkey in a sweater pictures!

MM, hope your DH isn't too hard on the turkeys! They want their moma. Ok...I'm still holding out for Banshee being a hen. :lol:

5. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Memphis you are a turkey enabler! [​IMG]

I also carted a silkie to the mountains for a long weekend because she would have died without me feeding and watering her. She ended up having to be culled anyhow, but I couldn't chance it...

6. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    Ok folks...we have a sweet headless hen to name. Didn't Marie Antoinette lose her head? And what about some of Henry the 8th wives....Anne Bolin comes to mind. :lol:

7. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    MM....glad someone else travels with their chickens! :D

1 person likes this.
  8. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Hahaha! Good suggestions!

I was looking at her coloring... I kind of like Mocha, Cinnamon, Nutmeg... (I may be craving pie... ) What about Pumpkin? Or maybe Maple?
    I am hungry. I need to make dinner.
    My names may not be very good. It is hard to think clearly when I am hungry.

I will be back with more after I eat.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Oh Man!!!

I spent all this time telling people what a nice honest young man you are, and you throw me under the bus at the first chance you get! I am so hurt and shocked!

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

What kind of Frankenstein creature is that?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by