A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

My turkey population is higher than it's ever been here ....18 total. It will be down to 16 by winter though, one way or another. I have Romeo and the palm ladies in their own pen and all the penciled crew (plus Eve, Sweet Pea, Pebbles, and Cynthia) in the other. Mister and Phil have been arguing over who is the boss lately. So far, it seems that Mister is in control. I'm hoping to get some more penciled blue Palm "types" next spring. My goal is to slowly replace everyone that is only semi penciled with full penciled stock so that everything bred will be penciled. Of course, the older girls are exempt will never be replaced. They have a place here till the end.

At least he made it back. Did you manage to get him back in the pen though?

They have free range except to the south/east where I have the netting at to slow down predators..

When I went out the world’s dumbest Tom was fighting Junior through the door on the coop/barn.

I have dog kennels cut to the size of the door openings. I have netting above the kennels to keep owls and hawks out..

I leave the doors open this time of year, I only close them during the winter.

Apparently, dumbch*t, could find his way over the 42 inch electric poultry netting today. Something that was impossible for him to master yesterday...

I was wondering who was going to be holiday dinner this year.... we now have a winner...

I always like the idea of having a large flock of turkeys, chickens, ducks, guineas, geese too... but currently my flock is 3 adult hens, 1 adult rooster, 5 young roosters, and 14 young hens (I hatched out the 5 roosters, and 11 of the 14 pullets), and then there is my old male guinea (he was in a flock of 5 males but I found out a bobcat has been stealing them when they sleep in the tree at my neighbor's house), currently 2 ducks, I hatched them out, one is a male, and the other is female, the male looks like a Welsh Harlequin/Rouen cross, and the female is a Rouen, and one lonely female brown chinese goose (she has never seen another goose, so i plan on letting her hatch out a brood of baby geese in spring), and then I have my brood of baby turkeys, and 2 adult Narragansett hens

Got some pictures :)

This big guy up front is this year's guest of honor for thanksgiving dinner

DSCN2337.JPG

Thanksgiving up front, Phil behind him and Mister to the right behind them. Baby and Nibbles are up front to the right. I haven't come up with a good name for the pastel girl behind them yet. Lil is beside Mister.
DSCN2339.JPG

Gobbling away with snoods flying! Eve and Cynthia are standing in the back behind everyone.
DSCN2357.JPG

My handsome Romeo, in the kennel. Duchess and Princess are standing on top of the pen in the backround.
DSCN2374.JPG

I always like the idea of having a large flock of turkeys, chickens, ducks, guineas, geese too... but currently my flock is 3 adult hens, 1 adult rooster, 5 young roosters, and 14 young hens (I hatched out the 5 roosters, and 11 of the 14 pullets), and then there is my old male guinea (he was in a flock of 5 males but I found out a bobcat has been stealing them when they sleep in the tree at my neighbor's house), currently 2 ducks, I hatched them out, one is a male, and the other is female, the male looks like a Welsh Harlequin/Rouen cross, and the female is a Rouen, and one lonely female brown chinese goose (she has never seen another goose, so i plan on letting her hatch out a brood of baby geese in spring), and then I have my brood of baby turkeys, and 2 adult Narragansett hens

Nice flock! Aside from the turkeys, I have about 45 chickens. It's an odd group of giant English orpingtons, Ameraucanas (mostly silkie feathered), silkies, polish, a large experimental group of silkie x silkie feathered ameraucanas, and a 4-legged RSL pullet names Ripley lol. I also have 4 ducks (2 muscovies, 1 mallard, and 1 khaki campbell) and 2 geese (1 brown Chinese and 1 African)

Hi I am new to the turkey side of things. We purchased two baby turkeys and regardless of all our efforts they did not make it. We have over 30 chickens so we were devastated when we failed with our turkeys. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to wear we may be able to purchase a turkey a bit older so that we don't sacrifice any more little ones in the process of figuring out how to care for them. I feel like if they already know how to eat we can definitely take it from there. We live near Robert Louisiana so if you have any suggestions we would love to hear from you. Thank you.

Hi I am new to the turkey side of things. We purchased two baby turkeys and regardless of all our efforts they did not make it. We have over 30 chickens so we were devastated when we failed with our turkeys. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to wear we may be able to purchase a turkey a bit older so that we don't sacrifice any more little ones in the process of figuring out how to care for them. I feel like if they already know how to eat we can definitely take it from there. We live near Robert Louisiana so if you have any suggestions we would love to hear from you. Thank you.
:welcome
Check your local craigslist, local Facebook and your local feed stores. If you have a locally owned and operated feed store, they will know what their customers raise and will be able to put you in touch with them. Chain operated feed stores most likely won't know their customers that well.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom