A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Uh oh. Why do you say that? They're Broad Breasted and will be 17 weeks old when processing. I was hoping for 15-20# dressed out. Maybe I should have gotten them sooner. Darn it. Maybe one can get a reprieve until Christmas. Just from last Sunday they put on 2#1oz for the little one and 2#9oz for the big one.

It’s been awhile since I had BB... but I doubt they will make 20-25 pounds life weight by turkey day....start pushing the corn.. (but they seem a tad young to do that)..

I push corn for a month before their day arrives. I like the fat and the weight they put on rapidly with corn... but know it is not good for their long term health..

Uh oh. Why do you say that? They're Broad Breasted and will be 17 weeks old when processing. I was hoping for 15-20# dressed out. Maybe I should have gotten them sooner. Darn it. Maybe one can get a reprieve until Christmas. Just from last Sunday they put on 2#1oz for the little one and 2#9oz for the big one.

BB are supposed to be harvested at 16 to 20 wks, so you should be good

ITS FINALLY RAINING!! And it's the most perfect slow soaking rain! The turkeys are soaked! They are playing in puddles. Of course Daisy loves to in play water and it looks like the poults do too! Daisy is introducing them the joys of being a turkey.

These are not the best pics - like I said, I'm not much good at one-handing a cellphone.

Cooper on display
cooper_display.jpg

on my lap
cooper_lap1.jpg

Well - sorta my lap.......

cooper_lap3.jpg

ITS FINALLY RAINING!! And it's the most perfect slow soaking rain! The turkeys are soaked! They are playing in puddles. Of course Daisy loves to in play water and it looks like the poults do too! Daisy is introducing them the joys of being a turkey.
Got 6+" yesterday
Part of the poultry yard is a mud hole

Flashpoint....they are darling! How big will they get? And so sweet!!
Memphis - I have NO idea. I do not know anyone who has any and I have never seen one before I hatched these! There is (to me) a large discrepancy in the weights, but I guess I will find out in "real time". Of course, that may be due to location, feed and feeding practices, and which "variety" of midget whites were used to breed different strains? I have no idea.

All I can say for sure is 1) they seem to mature pretty quickly compared to my other heritage breed turkeys; 2) are very small at this time (the Speckled Sussex chickens are larger!), and 3) super curious and friendly.

Time will tell! :lau

From Meyers Hatchery website:

Midget White Heritage Turkey
Similar in appearance to the Beltsville Small White and sometimes shown under the same name, the beautiful Midget White Turkeys are the smallest variety of turkey. They were developed at the University of Massachusetts in the 1950’s by Bob Smyth and are a cross between Royal Palms and Commercial Whites. At one time they almost were extinct, which makes them a highly sought after breed. They are very friendly and can make great pets. The hens are naturally broody and will raise their young on their own.
Average mature weight: Toms 20 lbs, Hens 12 lbs

From the Livestock Conservancy:

The variety was developed from a cross of a commercial Broad Breasted White turkey and an exhibition Royal Palm. Midget White toms average 13 lbs., hens average 8 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom